How can i get my daughter to drink from a sippy cup?

My daughter is 17 months and she was born a premie! but she is doing great

madsmom488

Asked by madsmom488 at 11:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get the cups with the silicone tops. They are similar to a bottle and an easy transition. Worked for my DD.
    bbbrussell20

Answer by bbbrussell20 at 11:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I am still working on that with my 15 month old. He was a preemie too. I bought the Munchkin cups with straws. He will drink from them at times. I am wondering when or if I should just get rid of the bottles. Then he will have to use the cups.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I got my son to use the rubber top ones that are used to help with the transition and it worked great....the downfall to that was when we got a plastic one he flipped out because it wasnt the same feeling and he couldnt chew on it anymore.(my son was a preemie also) But start with only giving the cup with their snack and when they are running around the house....when they have that down then only the bottle before bed and once they are good with that then no more bottles. My son started using the sippy cups when he turned 12 months and then we were dont with the bottles by the time he was 13 months....Good luck!!.... =D
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Throw away the bottles. Let your child throw them away and have a big kid celebration or just throw them away yourself and not give your child an option. It may be tough for a couple days but you will all get through it.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 11:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• my son didnt like drinking from a sippy cup so i went and tried the sip cup that has the stray in it and he uses it ever since
    sunshine2723

Answer by sunshine2723 at 12:13 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Get the cups with the soft tops, when I was teaching mine I just gave it to them with some water in it and let them experiment with it. She may just play with it at first but eventually she will get the hang of it and as she does you can use the cup more and the bottle less.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:38 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I learned this from wic: take the sippie cup and fill it with juice and or milk. The bottle, mix juice/milk and fill half with water. They will see that the drink in the cup taste much better than what's in the bottle.
    ladynell4god

Answer by ladynell4god at 3:08 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Thank you all! These are really good tips! Ya i wonder sometimes if i am rishing my daughter, i have to remember she was a premie but she is doing well and we have sippy cups just with the plastic tops!
    madsmom488

Comment by madsmom488 (original poster) at 8:37 PM on Jan. 22, 2011