How do you teach your little ones?

Do you have a formal sitting down time with your kids each day or are you more informal about your teaching methods?

ajbrownies

Asked by ajbrownies at 11:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have done a formal sit down, but my little one tends to get very irritated after about 5 minutes. Teaching her at this point has been very hard. What I decided to do is buy different books about certain topics and children videos to let her watch and eventually she just started learning different things just by reading them to her and letting her watch it for herself. You could also find little songs that teaches also like head shouldes knees and toes. Most kids dont usually listen to there parents because we have authority over them and that is all they see and usually they feel as though we can't teach them anything, so doing these things or getting a baby sitter that is still in middle or high school would possibly help more.
    Cherish809

Answer by Cherish809 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• we are pretty informal so far, but that will be changing soon because ds will start prek3 in aug. right now when ever he wants to have me write the abc's or count or do shapes and colors, we do. But by the end of march i want to have a set time for it.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 11:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• When they are so little I wouldn't make it too formal- I would make it more of game.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Pretty much informal. We have workbooks and flashcards that we use, but my son still sees it as a game. We work on stuff when he wants to.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:24 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• My oldest was a lost cause at tryin to get him to sit down & learn anything at any age. My dd picked things up really easy. She liked reading the same books every nite & so forth. Repeditive things. My little one is 18 months & has the attention span of like 5 seconds. So when I can find something he actually likes to do we do it over & over. Like rolling his cars. He likes for us to roll them & him to throw them at us to roll. He thinks it's hilarious. I take it day to day with him.
    amy197

Answer by amy197 at 2:33 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• teaching the little ones has to be fun. they will have more than enough "formal teaching" by others in their lives. think fun!
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 7:43 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I check out games from the library. Last week we started with ABC's, DD is now so proud she can sing them all the way through. You have to make it fun at their age.
    a_brown23

Answer by a_brown23 at 9:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2011