What do you think is the biggest issue facing youth today?

For me one of the biggest issues is lack of proper education in life skills. How many teens know how to balance a checkbook or actually spell a word without using the spellchecker? Sometimes I think technology is as much of a crutch as a spring board.

ajbrownies

Asked by ajbrownies at 11:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think that technology has really kept kids from having basic social interactions and it is a real detriment to our society.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• not knowing. these days they wander around, not knowing what to do or where to go. could be because of parents. i heard somewhere that 10% of kids these days live with their grandparents. sad huh?
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I agree......they can boot up a computer but can they plant a seed or grow food.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I think that they all feel like the are intitled to certian things but they don't want to work for them. My brother is going to be 19 in febuary and he just got a car. The from first month he has needed help paying his car payments and anything else he has to pay for to keep the car. My parents helped him get the car (he does work) but he needs help with every thing. But he only thinks of hisself and wants everyone to help him out. He needs to grow up but my mom does always help him no matter how he treats her. It is crazy.
    LADYA1983

Answer by LADYA1983 at 11:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• parents on drugs an not show these kids love an how to respect there elders an there self an pree pressure
    quetta669

Answer by quetta669 at 6:55 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I think a lack of parental guidance and communication is the biggest problem.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:51 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Some can be book smart- some can be street smart- but I rarely see teens who can have both. A lot have no social/people skills due to lack of "face time". And many do have that sense of entitlement- due to instant gratification & overindulgent parents. They wouldnt know a hard days work if it fell on them- and if it fell on them, they'd text or tweet their friends that they dont know how that happened- but it was "so unfair!"
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:11 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I think kids(some) lack basic skills for everyday life. Like claening up after themselfs manners and to use their own mind.
    augboy11

Answer by augboy11 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I think everything bad stems from being held as incapable, in the minds of the people in control of their time, minds and bodies.

Schools think children are stupid and incapable, and that they have absolutely nothing of value to contribute, really. The media thinks they're all slackers, idiots and jackasses. The police are pretty sure they're all criminals (twice, had slim young girls stopped and questioned by the police because of reports of grown men being beaten up --why stop little girls? Because it was probably them?) The pundits are all ragging on all the time about how 'we were bad as kids, but this generation is the WORST in history'...

How much time can a young mind absorb that crap without impairing it in some way?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:24 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• lack of parental guidance
    lack of comunication with parents
    lack of knowlege outside of technology
    lack of dicipline by the parents
    lack of knowledge of our history
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 3:00 PM on Jan. 24, 2011