32 month old not potty trained?

Is this normal? There are days she wants to go and others she has no interest. She will be 3 the end of may and I feel rushed to get her potty trained by then! Any suggestions? And yes, we have a chair and pull ups, and a reward for after she goes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• umm, ditch the pull ups and use panties...pull ups are like diapers, and panties will allow her to feel the wetness, and it running down her legs if she has any accidents. my dd was the same way, and she trained in two days when she decided she was ready...she's been trained since oct...we just waited until she told us she wanted to go,..so keep it up, and eventually she'll get there..good luck momma!
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 11:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• It's totally normal. Don't rush too much, she'll probably be much more into it when she's ready.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• thank God you said she'd be 3, or i'd be counting on my fingers. i stopped the counting by months thing way before that. set a timer for every hour, if she doesn't go, set it for every half hour until she does go, then back to every hour. have a box of things to do while she's sitting on it, books, a list of songs for you to remember and sing, coloring book, ect. make sure to have the Resolve within reach, you'll need it. when she goes, make a HUGE deal about it, do a potty dance, give her stickers or a treat (mini marshmellow, m&m, ect) be consistant with it and she'll do well. just remember, you WILL get frustrated. you WILL feel like screaming. you will probly scrub the floor while seething, teeth clenched. but you MUST stay calm in front of your dd. let her run around naked or with big girl underwear, let her choose them from the store. GL!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I know people who just started to potty train their 4 year olds because they need to be ready for school....I wouldnt stress about it...there is no deadline to have your child using the potty. Just keep working with it and when it happens it happens. No need to stress to have it done when she is 3. Good luck!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• If you want her to start preschool I'd push the potty training since most preschools will not allow children who aren't. But "normal" is different for every child, and I've read numerous publishing's and heard from several different dr.'s its not abnormal until 4... and even then accidents are to be expected sometimes until the child is 12. Just keep encouraging, it'll come, and chances are it'll be overnight... I started my son the day he turned 3 and it took 2 weeks, never had an accident, ever, since. GL
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• my daughter will be 4 in may and she JUST NOW is getting the hang of potty training. I wouldn't push her. It seemed like when we stopped pushing, she decided to do it on her own! GL mama!
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 11:34 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• My older kids were pushed into training by their daycare. DD regressed at one point because she wasn't ready.

Wait until you see signs of her being ready, mostly being dry for longer periods of time and naps. Also telling you when she has to go. Be ready for false starts. And, personally, I'd do diapers or undies, pull-ups are just fancy, expensive diapers. She will get there. You will not be sending diapers to kindergarten.

My youngest did not train until the week before his 3rd birthday. I noticed that he was dry from breakfast until lunch, while playing with a bunch of older kids. I pulled down his diaper and put him on the toilet. He was surprised and thrilled. He was then dry through a 3 hour nap. Put him back on the toilet. He had it down in maybe a week. Night time took a little longer.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:34 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Some people are rushed because some day care centers won't take a three year old that is not potty trained. But the books tell you that your child will let you know when she is ready to go potty. There are books for children that you can read to her for potty training and also videos to show her that she is not the only one doing it and that there is nothing wrong with doing it. I potty trained my little girl by going to the restroom and letting her go at the same time that I went so that she can see that mommy is doing it too and that she could be a big girl if she did it too.It worked. Some kids are different. Hope it helps.
    Cherish809

Answer by Cherish809 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• My girls were 3 and 4. I didn't even train them. They just suddenly started using the potty on their own, put panties on instead of pull ups, and went about the rest of their life. Completely stress free for me! I had a nanny so no worries about them having to be potty trained.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• my daughter was just about 3 before she was potty trained. its all up to the child. if they do not want to be potty trained, guess what??? they wont!!!! as frustrating as it can get, you have to let them do it when they are ready. do not punish, or use negativeness towards your child when they dont do what you want. but use special positvieness when they do a good job, or even an attempt. just keep smiling, it will get better :-)
    aromo61009

Answer by aromo61009 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2011