Has anyone on here breastfed until the baby was 12 months? Just curious. I haven't really had that opportunity and was able to breastfeed until our son was 6 months because I got pregnant with the second child and my OBGYN recommended that I stopped breastfeeding to reduce a chance of a miscarriage.

Svetlana98usa

Asked by Svetlana98usa at 11:36 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I breastfed both of my children until they were around 2 years old.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 11:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• no i made it 6 months with my dd and 5 months with my ds. both time i had to go back to work and pumped int he bathroom. on break time. but it just wasn't enough to keep my supply. or keep baby happy. but some is better than none.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 11:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I made it to 6 months with my first. 15 months with the 2nd and 3rd. I'm not sure how the lucky moms who go for longer do it. My kids just got too busy. Made me sad, but they were fine with it.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Wow, I'm surprised your doctor told you to stop. Many women nurse through pregnancy, and even beyond, called tandem nursing, without complications (unless you have a history of miscarriages, in which case, nursing is not recommended during pregnancy). I nursed until 18 1/2 months, but I wish I had gone longer. I plan to go longer with the next one.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• ive been exclusively pumping for almost 12 months and will keep going until 2 years!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I had a miscarriage before our 10-months-old son.
    Svetlana98usa

Comment by Svetlana98usa (original poster) at 11:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I nursed my daughter until she was 25 months (and I was 8 months pregnant).

It's wonderful. Nursing a toddler is VERY entertaining lol! They are so active and funny when they nurse, it's hillarious. I loved having that special time with her when we were going to bed.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I nursed my second son for a year and 2 weeks.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I have. I nursed our ds until he was 15 mos old and weaned himself. He was 6 mos old when I got pg with our dd, and I nursed all through the pg (though I don't have a history of miscarriage. I am sorry for your loss!). He weaned himself the month that my dd was born. I was willing to tandem nurse, but he didn't want to anymore (I think it was because my milk changed and he didn't like it).

I nursed our dd for longer than that. It's healthy for them and for you, and, if it's something that you're interested in, I would encourage you to give it a shot :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I breastfed to 12 months and wish I had gone longer. My son had some issues almost as soon as I weaned him that were related to reduced immune system (one of which being moloscum, a form of warts, which appeared in his diaper area and were quite painful and required a lot of trips to the ped that got nowhere, till I finally took him to a dermatologist and was given the correct diagnosis and full information) and they could have been prevented or at least less severe had he continued to receive the benefits of breastmilk. I didn't know any better, but I do now and you know what they say...when you know better, do better!
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 12:09 AM on Jan. 22, 2011