how do u disaplane a 3 year old when u have tried everything u was told to do i mean when he gets mad he thows things yells and even threatins to hit me or his brother i just need some help cause sometimes he scares me

baby_doll929

Asked by baby_doll929 at 12:18 AM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Take him to a therapist!!!
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 12:21 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• He does not need a therapist. Well, maybe if there's a traumatic event that's caused him to act this way, only you know that. He needs some consistent discipline. What exactly have you done? Have you tried time outs?
    Crazy_Daze

Answer by Crazy_Daze at 12:23 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Have you had him evaluated for a possible learning disorder? Some children who have learning disorders are so frustrated by their inability to communicate their thoughts, or even to understand what they're being told, that they act out in frustration. Imagine yourself trying to tell someone one thing, but something completely different comes out.

If there is no organic problem, them I recommend tuning into Supernanny-- she's very good about finding ways to make discipline stick with a variety of children. The underlying theme though is consistency, and giving instruction at an eye level with the child.

Good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:24 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• if he does have any sort of learning disorder or ADHD they will tell you they wont diagnose him with that until he gets a little bit older. because at such a young age, kids grow out of behaviors, & they change & stop bad habits & things sometimes.
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 12:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• he was ok until my grandfather passed away he was really close to him and also his dad is in jail he is also very close to his dad he tells me everyday that he wants his daddy back and it breaks my heart cause theres nothing i can do he is jail and im not the one that put him there so i mean he has been though alot he was born cleft lip and has had 3 surgerys since he has been born but i have tried everything time outs spankings taking his favorite toys away kinda grounding him putting him to bed early i just dont know what else to do

baby_doll929

Comment by baby_doll929 (original poster) at 12:28 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• next time he threatens to hit you or his brother, firmly tell him "NO, you will NOT hit your brother, and if you DO hit your brother, you WILL go to time out". you are the parent. you shouldn't be scared of him. if he throws something, put him in time out. if he hits, put him in time out. if he doesn't listen, put him in time out. make sure you have a specific place for time out, don't just make it anywhere. my kids get 3 chances. then comes the spanking. normally, the spanking stops them, if it even gets that far.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:28 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• changes in life will make kids act out. he's testing you by acting out. when my dh was deployed for a year, the first week my kids were fine, they were used to daddy being gone for at least a week. by the second week, they started acting out a little bit. then it got progressively worse. they were not dealing with the change very well. i stayed consistant with the discipline, i didn't get all lovey dovey and let them get away with what they usually wouldn't. what they got in trouble for when daddy was here, they got in trouble for when daddy was gone. after a month of him gone, they went from acting out to back to normal. also, keep a schedule. kids need schedules, they need to know what's going to happen next. set a schedule and keep to it. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:35 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• kids can smell fear dont back down he 3 just immagine whats going to happen when he is older. put your foot down and make sure he knows your the boss.. my daughter is 3 she gets told once than i count to 3 and then i beat that ass. she got one spanking and ever since then i dont have to ever get to 3 again..
    kyiahsmommy

Answer by kyiahsmommy at 12:36 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I would get him some therapy. It is not easy dealing with all that is on his plate. I would want to hit someone too, honestly.

Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 12:38 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Well that's a whole other story. I would definitely consider a therapist then, and also letting him know who's the parent. I'm sure it's difficult to see him so upset, but he'll love you for it later. I hope things get better for you guys!
    Crazy_Daze

Answer by Crazy_Daze at 12:38 AM on Jan. 22, 2011