Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unstable father split. Should I bother going after child support?

Is the little amount of money I would get from him worth fighting in court for and having to let him have visitation? I don't want one of his druggie girl friends helping raise my child after it is born. Should I say I just don't know who the father is and let him take me to court first if he really wants to see the baby?

Answer Question

Asked by Morenci at 8:00 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • that's what I did he took me for a dna etc etc thought he could cry to the courts that my son should live with him well they told him first he had to establish paternity ...ok than after that they order child support he tried to ask for custody and the Judge laughed at him and told him to call a attorney ...well he is now 1 and a half years in arrears and needless to say I have not seen or heard from him that $50.00 dollars a month is a small price to pay to keep him away,,,but He is a crazy man though so its better that way


    Answer by Cmm13 at 8:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

  • wow this sounds like my situation.. so i dunno what to tell you, but ill be reading the answers! say he's not the father, and if he really wants to be around he will file a paternity thing.. or you can just file for full custody.. it looks better for you to be the petitionaer than the respondant..

    Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 8:08 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

  • I would just wait and see what happens. I would not want anyone involved in drugs near my baby, shoot i dont even let SIL smoke cigs near my 2 year old.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

  • yup, and if he requests it (denies he's the father,) guess who has to pay for the test if he is... him... so yeah it is worth the hassle, as eventually, he will most likely stay away anyway. My sister went through a nasty nasty custody case with her ex bf, and he fought and fought.... yet he hasn't seen his own daughter in 2 years... he still gets the child support, and doesn't have to deal with him at all :)

    Answer by leoangel at 8:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

  • whoopsies, I meant *she gets child support...

    Answer by leoangel at 8:15 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

  • child support and visitation are not directly connected. go after him, he may not always be a loser, but he will always owe you the money till the day he dies and even after if he leaves an estate.

    Answer by teri4lance at 8:40 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

  • coming from someone who didnt go after shild support and should have. i would and knowing that you can get child support without having the father have visitations with the child. my husband pays child support but doesnt see his son because the mother doesnt want him to see him.

    Answer by Mammaof2 at 12:16 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Pregnancy

Next question overall (Relationships)