If you were single...

would you adopt or do artifical insemination or do you think it isn't right to deliberately have a child when you would be the only parent. I know people who say it is selfish to have a child if you aren't in a relationship because that child won't have a "normal" homelife. I say it is bunk and as long as you can afford a child and spend the time and love on them then it is not wrong.

kmath

Asked by kmath at 12:39 AM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• While I feel a mom and dad is the best situation, I don't think it is selfish at all! I mean come on...GOD FORBID but my DH could walk off a curb tomorrow and be killed by a bus....poof, I am a single parent. There are no guarantees in life.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:53 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I say, there isn't anything such as the "perfect family" and I think however someone makes their family is beautiful.  There are plenty of single parents out there who are doing a fine job of raising little ones on their own.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• i am single...and as much as i would love to have another one..i think i would adopt..i wouldnt do artifical insemination..but thats just me! if i got pregnant the "normal" way, i would choose that
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:46 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• adopt. cause gaurunteed that child will have a better life being adopted by you ..(someone who genuinley wants to raise a child). the fact that a second parent is not in the picture is not going to harm the child. u can give that child all the love they need. i say adopt
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 12:47 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I am not sure. Maybe adopt...maybe have an oppsy baby with a guy I thought had the traits I think would mesh well with mine.
    stormyvawn

Answer by stormyvawn at 12:52 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I think as long asyou can provide, finacially, emotionally, etc for that child then its not selfish. espessially if you have family so thechild has a male role model. IE i'm a single mom (not on purpose though) and my twin boys dont have a dad. but they do have my brother, and my dad
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:25 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I have 3 kids & have been single with them b4. Just to lay it out all 3 of my kids have different fathers, but there all 9 yrs apart. Literally. If you can have them naturally then have at least 1 of your own & if u want more later then adopt if that whats you want bacause there alot of really sweet adorable kids out there that need loving parents. But if I chose to adopt I think I would pick 1 or even 2 of the older children. That's just me tho. I know a lady that has like 10 kids. Most of them adopted from other family members. Wether ur a single or a couple doesn't have anything to do with how good a parent you r. Just sayin......
    amy197

Answer by amy197 at 1:33 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I do think a two parent household is ideal but, there are a LOT of children in this world who are living lives FAR from the ideal. If I could make thier life better I would. Better isn't always ideal but, it is always better. I would adopt.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 3:38 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Pray about it , sounds like you would do great just make sure this is what you want.
    IloveJesus316

Answer by IloveJesus316 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• No to artificial insemination....

But if I were single, and God wanted me to adopt a child..I would...
    MrsDwyer77

Answer by MrsDwyer77 at 2:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2011