my friend is way to skinny

she like 5 10 and 120 soooo skinny...she is breast feeding and I am scared for her ....would you say anything?? her baby is a year old...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• If you are concerned for her health, then let her know that in a caring and respectful way. But it's not unusual for a woman who is already naturally thin to become even thinner while breastfeeding. Nursing an older baby takes a LOT of calories and energy. I am 5'6" and got down to 103 while breastfeeding (I am normally about 115), and I did start to have fainting spells and health problems around that point, and so I made the decision to wean my son at 15 months. Once I weaned him I felt better and my weight started to come back up.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• okay thank you so much for your help!!!
    Anonymous

• That is VERY skinny for her height and she should def be a little heavier. I am one of those naturally "thin" people and when I'm BF I am about 110lbs(I'm 5'2") but that's not that light. I think you should gently bring up the subject, especially if she looks like she's sick or is having health issues. An easy way to tell if someone is starving themselves is by looking at their skin, if it's always very dry and flaky, that's a sign of not having enough fat, as is being cold all the time. Also, hair loss and dryness, yellow teeth, smelly breath are all signs that something is wrong(like an eating disorder or just not getting enough to eat).
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 3:18 PM on Nov. 14, 2008