Need no/low sodium dinner meals for my DH and myself. HELP! I'm hungry!!!

WalknWithGod

Asked by WalknWithGod at 1:19 AM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Chicken seasoned with herbs, steamed broccoli, and brown rice?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• This is one of my very favorites (and I'm on a low sodium, low fat, no dairy diet!) and everybody I've cooked this for LOVES it. Get a whole roasting chicken. Remove the giblets and neck from the inside. Gently separate the skin from the breast and leg without removing it. Thinly slice a lemon and rinse some fresh sage leaves. Gently push the lemon slices and sage leaves up under the skin of the chicken. Sprinkle the skin with Mrs Dash italian seasoning. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 and continue to bake uncovered for an hour to hour and a half depending on the size of the chicken. Meanwhile, wash and peel 1 turnip, 2 parsnips, 2 carrots, and 4 red potatoes. Cut them into 1" cubes. Toss in a bowl with 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp Mrs Dash original seasoning. Spray a cookie sheet with Pam spray and spread the veggies out in a single layer. Bake for 30 minutes or so til browned outside and soft inside
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:56 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Oh forgot to add, before you bake the chicken, cut in half EITHER a lemon or an onion and place it inside the cavity of the chicken along with a few extra sage leaves! Yummy!!!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:57 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Preheat oven to 350
    Mix together rosemary, thyme, sage, and basil in some olive oil (should be the consistency of a paste)
    Massage into chicken breasts place on a cookie sheet and bake for about 30 min.

I use frozen veggies vs canned because frozen has no sodium (I can add salt or butter if I want.. I like the taste of veggies natural though)

(For blasamic glazed london broil)
    Turn on broiler
    Preheat a medium/large non-stick skillet (medium-high heat) and coat with 1-2 TBSP or olive oil
    Season london broil (cut of meat) as you'd like I use salt and pepper. Sear meat in the skillet (all sides.. about 2 minutes each side)
    In small saucepan combine about 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar, 2 cloves of garlic (smashed with a knife.. skin removed), 2TBSP brown sugar, and 1 or 2 bayleaves, turn onto medium to medium high heat.. let it simmer until the liquid is reduced to about half.. keep a close eye on it and stir often)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 2:00 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Place london broil on a cookie sheet and spoon some of the balsamic reduction on it, place in oven about 5 in from flames. Don't close oven door all the way or it can char the outside. Cook for about 20 min per side for med-rare.
    Take meat out of oven and let it rest for 10 min (place some tin foil loosely over it
    Cut the meat very thinly against the grain and spoon the balsamic glaze over meat

As a side dish for this I usually cook tri-colored rotini pasta.. about 5 min til the pasta is done, I add in frozen baby california blend (broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots) once pasta is done, drain place back in pot and add some of the balsamic glaze and some butter.. it's pretty amazing!
    alinker

• Season with herbs. Use sea salt or Himalayan salt instead of table salt. Both are much lower in sodium and don't have the same harmful effects on the body. They actually have lots of minerals and nutrients that you do need. You could also use Liquid Aminos. Toasted and crushed kale and seaweed will also add that tangy flavor and are packed with nutrients.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:16 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I have a cookbook that you may want to look for and it is a Better Homes and Gardens. It is Family Favorites Made Lighter. It has tons of recipes all made with next to no sodium and all meant to be healthier for you.
    vchristineg

Answer by vchristineg at 10:29 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• No Hurry Vegetable Curry

Serve over hot cooked basmati rice with chutney on the side.

1 tablespoon peanut oil
    1 to 2 large carrots, sliced on a diagonal
    1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tablespoons curry powder
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
    8 ounces green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
    1-1/2 cups slow-cooked or one 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
    2 cups vegetable stock
    1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
    1/2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
    Salt

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat (I do this in the slowcooker). Add the carrots and onion, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, curry powder, coriander, and cayenne, stirring to coat.Transfer the vegetable mix

Answer by rkoloms at 4:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Add
    the potatoes, green beans, chickpeas, tomatoes, and stock; cover, and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
    Just before serving, stir in the peas and coconut milk and season with salt. Taste to adjust the seasonings.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2011