8WEEKS OLD....VERY VERY BAD DIAPER RASH....ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• only thing that ever helped my daughter is desitin :) my daughter always had it on, and it helped so much. good luck
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 2:03 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• let baby go without a diaper as often as possible, do not use baby wipes (even the sensitive ones can burn the rash) instead use a soft paper towel with water only.. dab at poop don't wipe. Coat with a thick layer of vaseline before putting a diaper on and if you want, mix some desitin maximum strength into it. If this doesn't start to help within 24 hours, call your doc for some prescription butt cream
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 2:05 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• change diaper very often! just make sure baby is dry at all times, that is the best remedy above any cream or ointment!! And use the plain powder with cornstarch in it and no scents. I have heard that it is being recommended nowadays not to use powder on infants because they inhale it and blah, blah, blah! I have used powder from day one on my son who is now 2 and he has only had a diaper rash twice. I just made sure his diaper stayed super dry at all times and used the plain powder with cornstarch (which I used to use the lavender scented because SO preferred it for himself but I switched for my son) and no wipes either, just use a warm washcloth to wipe and powder. but obviously don't spray powder in the babies face or make any big clouds of smoke with it. just gently sprinkle on the private parts!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:06 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• also, if baby continues to get diaper rash often, you may need to switch brands of diapers
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 2:08 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• and spread the powder around with your hand, this will grab any last little bit of moisture left on the skin. Even if it bleeds a little, it's not a big deal! just keep using a warm washcloth, just water and dry the bottom very well and sprinkle with plain powder to release any left over moisture. TRUST ME!! I have asked this question on here before and gotten recommendations for all types of creams and ointments and tried them all and wasted my money too!! this simple solution that someone recommended to me on here was the only thing that actually helped!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:12 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• good luck, hope babies butt feels better soon!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:14 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• when my aunts baby was little she bought this stuff called triple paste because her daughter had bad diaper rash too
    Luckyme3487

Answer by Luckyme3487 at 2:16 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Instead of using anything to wipe his butt just rinse him off with warm water in the bath tub and let his butt air dry. Then you can take some anti-fungal cream and mix it with your choice brand of diaper rash cream (it creates a stronger barrier), make sure his butt is completely dry before you put on any cream. If you don't it won't help. And coat his butt really well with the cream mix.

You may also lay a towel down on the floor and do his tummy time with a bare butt (babys). The worse that could happen is him wetting or pooping and then you just go rinse him off and dry him. no biggie.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 2:26 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Soak the babies but in the baby tub two or three times a day. Make sure the water temp is the same as when you give a bath. Pat the babies butt with the towel gently to dry it and let him lie naked or half naked on the floor and air his butt dry. If there are little white bumps or it bleeds when you wipe it could be a yeast infection. Use clotrimazole 1% antifungal cream, it is found in the foot care aisle because it is also used for athletes foot and other foot fungas. My oldest son had that problem and the pediatrician told me to use that but only twice a day. You can also make a little butt pounce with a white cloth cut 6 by 6inches place a heaping TBSP of cornstarch in the center and tie it with whatever is handy. This way it doesn't get in the babies lungs because it doesn't go all over like baby powder out of the bottle and you can even lightly rub it on the babies butt.
    tyandlukesmom

Answer by tyandlukesmom at 5:05 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Cloth diaper

Answer by rkoloms at 5:34 PM on Jan. 22, 2011