What is the best historical book out there to read?

I don't really like romance novels but if there is a love story involved without it taking over the plot of the book I don't mind. I need something new to read and I love historical novel that really get you thinking "what if?" I'm open to pretty much any era in history if some of the book can be backed up by some historical reference of some kind. I'm just not looking for a text book though.

tyandlukesmom

Asked by tyandlukesmom at 5:14 AM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Entertainment

• I really don't care for that genre, but my friend LOVES historical fiction (with lots of fact mixed in) and her favorite is author Isabel Allende.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:34 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• The book about John Adams was REALLY good!!!! And when you get done with the book you can buy the DVD set from the book. I promise you-you will not be disappointed.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 10:39 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Love Isabel Allende.
    Take a look at the Outlander series by Diana Galbadon. I have heard wonderful things about it. I just started Outlander myself and haven't gotten very far yet.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:22 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I recently read Georgina the book upon which the movie was based. It was very interesting, and all true.
    i also like the writing of Lauren Willig. She writes the pink carnation series. More mystery, whodunnit then romance and a lot of action . Takes place in England around late 17oo's.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 7:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I LOVED "the Other Boleyn Girl" by Philippa Gregory. Also Allison Weirs writing. OH and for a great juicy read "I, Claudius" about Rome.
    bookmommy

Answer by bookmommy at 8:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• The Bible :D
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 8:02 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• i also loved "The Other Boleyn Girl" however it is almost completly fiction. It was good but the truth was more entertaining.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2011