How to shop in supermarket?

What must I always need for 4 and 11 year kids emergency or cheper food?

GlitteribonMom

Asked by GlitteribonMom at 6:25 AM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Food & Drink

• all beef hotdogs. I stock up when they are buy one get one and freeze. dry cereal is a good thing to have also. you can get that in the off brand and bee cheap. milk for the add benifits. i buy a big box of corndogs lol.
    marinewife0311

Answer by marinewife0311 at 6:53 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I always had Mac & cheese, spaghetti & sauce & a box of tacos ready to go. I have a gas stove so when we lose power, I can just light it with a match and cook (no oven though).
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 8:47 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I've been keeping bananas and nectarines in the house so the kids grab something healthy first.
    Also popcorn has been a staple here this winter.
    String cheese and yogurt in the fridge for when someone is constantly poking their head in there!
    Even some dry cereal in cup is a nice snack.
    Cookie Crisp, cocoa puffs, pnut butter Captain Crunch? That's sweet and inexpensive and won't break the bank!
    Hope this helps you out?
    blessings,
    bon♥
    bonnieblue06

Answer by bonnieblue06 at 12:59 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• sorry, I thought you wanted SNACK ideas! Some of you probably think I am a bad mom now?
    For lunches, I like to make the kids grilled cheese or grilled pnut butter sandwiches. Serve with some baby carrots?
    Pasta and rice are inexpensive and you can cook up extra and keep it in a sealed bowl in the fridge.
    Don't add anything to it.
    Then you can use the pasta in different ways. Put parmesan cheese on one meal, red tomato sauce for another, cheese sauce the next.
    Rice can be buttered, or you can add some salsa for mexican rice, or sugar and cinnamon on warm rice is marvelous!!
    all inexpensive and hearty!
    blessings again!
    bon♥
    bonnieblue06

Answer by bonnieblue06 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Here are my best tips for saving at the grocery store:

Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

CONT

Answer by rkoloms at 4:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner. Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelettes with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie(you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.

Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons, eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry). Most important, buy only what is on your list. The specials at the store are not to save you money, they are to get you to buy items that you don't need. If you won't use it in 3 week, don't buy it!

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 4:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.