How do I help my children through the deployment they are older this time around

this is our 3 deployment but this time around they are older. and the baby will only be just over a year when he leaves. im afraid i wont know how to help them. and before you say it. i already looking into the deployment books and barnes and nobles, and they are already signed up for the deployment classes on base.

marinewife0311

Asked by marinewife0311 at 7:16 AM on Jan. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• sounds like you're doing the right things--the books, classes. kids are no different from adults, in their make-up. they are simply people who don't understand or know life as well. they depend on others for guidance, security & assurance along with their experiences, just as adults. just more so. they need people who can equate just as much, if not more, than an adult. so kids going through the same things usually develop a special & stronger bond than peers who have no clue. friends their ages, with parents in the military, would give them an added support system.
    ThankfullyProud

Answer by ThankfullyProud at 9:30 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• It's sounds like you are doing everything right. Talk to them about it and explain this is how it is for your family and what good work your SO does.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:07 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• What helped for us was we sent a care package each month. The kids would help me pick out stuff to buy(just little stuff), and draw pictures write a note. I would take a photo of the kids and include it in each box. The kids loved shopping for dad, and he loved getting the little gifts from them.
    I also took a picture of him with each kid before he left. I hung them up in the house so they could see them every day, and an extra copy that they put in there room.
    Ysobel

Answer by Ysobel at 11:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2011