High blood pressure during pregnancy

Went to the doc yesterday (I'm 8 weeks), and my bp was 162/98!! I am 5'7"....132, and am a runner. High BP runs in my family. I had it with my 1st pregnancy and I am unable to take BC with hormones b/c of hypertension. So, doc put me on a low dose a meds, and said possible bed rest for the entire pregnancy. Anyone else had high b/p this early? Is this really high, or just kinda high? Do you think bed rest is a pretty sure possibilty for the future? I'm only 8 wks...ugh.

beth0828

Asked by beth0828 at 8:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Pregnancy

• doesnt have to be a possibility. Your blood pressure changes consistently with your daily routines. it doesnt have to be a problem. talk to your doctor about things you can do so it is NOT a possibility.
    Anonymous

• nomal BP is 120 / 70 average... thats pretty high i never had my BP that high b4 i think once i was 160/100 at the most so becareful and try not to get nervous or stressed out ... gl
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 8:38 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• That is fairly high for anyone..but for a pregnant woman... soooo not good. There are meds that you can take during pregnancy. That said... I had hypertension before becoming pregnant, was on meds during pregnancy and was on complete bedrest beginning at 30 weeks. I was on partial bed rest at 12 weeks...bleh!

They usually want your lower number to be no more than 85 with a pregnancy. I would discuss it with your doctor.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2008