Frequent Nursing?

My almost nine month old still nurses every 2-3 hours and used to sleep through the night just fine. Then all of a sudden 2 months ago he was up once a night. I thought no big deal, then twice a night (at the exact same times) and slowly it's progressed to every 2 hours. He nurses everytime but sometimes only for a minute or 2 before going back to sleep. Unfortunately he won't take a pacy :( Did this happen to any of you and how did you handle it!? I'm ready to wean!!!

Sarahbeth7

Asked by Sarahbeth7 at 7:25 AM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's probably going through separation anxiety. 7-9 months is the WORST time for sleep. Just go with it, he'll spread the feedings back out. Just be glad he slept through for all those months before this, my first nursed every 2 hours through the night from birth-14mo.

The daytime feeding is totally normal, nothing wrong there.

Also, one other thought... be sure he's getting plenty of milk and nursing plenty during the day. This is also an age many start to reverse cycle because they become too busy to nurse very much during the day so they make up for it at night. Not sure if that's what he's doing, but something to keep in mind.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:27 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Give him a few minutes by himself to settle back down to sleep. Some babieas are light sleepers and wake for a few minutes and can get back to sleep by themselves. The little guy I sit for has been known to be awake for an hour during the night just babbling and then he goes back to sleep on his own. If it is not time for a feeding leave him be for awhile and see what happens. He should not need that many night time feedings now. He may be just restless and he has shown you it is not real hunger by only being awake for a minute or two. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:03 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• He may be waking because he's hungry/thirsty. Try bigger feedings before bed, and supplement with cereal. It should keep him feeling fuller longer. Also, I agree with Elizabr. My DS used to wake every couple of hours and I'd get up and go to him, when I got too exhausted to do this, he self-soothed and would go back to sleep on his own. Now he only wakes up once a night every other night or so, and it's usually if he ate supper early and he's hungry and thirsty. I try to keep water in his room, and some crackers or something for him to snack on so I don't actually have to get out of bed. Sometimes he comes in just to make sure I'm still there, then goes back to his room.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:12 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Cosleeping saved me from losing my mind at this age.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:35 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• bed time snack was a biggie for us...my kids both did the same thing as yours is doing. it seriously killed me...I was always exhausted. Finally we had to have DH sleep with them and me go into another room for the night b/c if they smelled my milk they wouldn't take anything else.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:10 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Yeah I do bigger meals at night. So letting him cry it out at this point should be an option? Ugh, I hate the thought of it!
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 10:38 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Oh, and keep in mind that weaning will NOT fix this. He will still wake up, you will just have to find a new way to soothe him.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:28 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• growth spurt and co-sleeping :)
    SimplyErathy

Answer by SimplyErathy at 12:43 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I nursed my 2 until they were ready to wean, but it shouldn't hurt to offer a pacifier, rub her back, sing (lights off), offer a bottle with water in it...
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 7:50 AM on Jan. 22, 2011