What makes a good mother?

I am a single mother and sometimes i feel like i am just not good enough. not strong enough. I have a full time job and am raising my two kids by myself due to a divorce. I have my own place. what makes a good mother?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• A good mom never thinks she is (a good mom). A good mom is always striving to better herself for her children's sake. A good mom puts the welfare of her children ahead of her own. A good mom always looks to improve her situation to benefit her children. You sound like that to me, just don't forget to take care of yourself as well. And I also tip my hat to the other poster who mentioned hugs and kisses and "I love you's", those are extremely important!
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 11:33 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• you rock!!! I think all the love in the world can make you a great mom. support and good morale values....you are doing great!!! My mom was single w/ 4 kids and she made 8 dollars an hour....We never even knew we were poor she never let us worry but we weren't spoiled either. school sports are great and 3 out of 4 of us got full scholarships....
    Anonymous

• oh Darling.. you are doing some of the most fundamentally basic things that are the foundation to being a good mother!!! Doing what you have to for your family...loving them... putting them first...hugs...kisses...i loves yous....kisses on owies.....chasing monsters away....bed time stories....their favorite dinner....knowing their teachers....singing them songs...giving them hope....daring them to dream...grounding them when they need it....staying up late with worry over fevers, curfews all that.. You got it all going already honey!!!

mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 8:18 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• When you find out what makes a great mom - let me know. No one is perfect. I don't care if you are a stay at home mom and don't have to worry about anything. Perfection is impossible. We do the best we can and that is all we can do. I think great moms are ones who worry about their children, provide support, and are there for all the ups and downs.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I think what makes a good mother is an aware mother, if you are aware of not being perfect but constantly adapting to yours and you childs need. If you are having issues and try to figure it out until you have got it, trying different things until you find what works.
    My mom raised 8 children all by herself, and she is my hero. By no means was she perfect, she made plenty of mistakes, but when something wasnt working she would try something else until she got it. Another great thing she did was she was very aware that we were all totally different. One thing would work for one child but not the other. Just the simple act that you are asking makes you a great mom, because you are aware and want to be good at being a mom.
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 9:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• accountability. To yourself and your child.
    gdnrs

Answer by gdnrs at 2:12 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Who are any of us to tell you how to raise your kids? None of us out here are perfect! Do the best you can and make sure they know they are loved...
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:46 AM on Nov. 14, 2008