Always wanted to go on a cruise! Saw a commercial on tv and mentioned it out loud

and got a surprising response! Hubby and daughter said they would never go but the boys said they love to go! Anybody here been on one? I have a few questions.......

Is the water safe to drink or do they offer bottled water left and right?
Is the food out very long, like its been sitting awhile?
Is there a Dr. or Rn on board?

Please tell what was your trip like good or bad, things to do on the cruise, and so on. Thanks so much

4theloveofTink

Asked by 4theloveofTink at 9:04 AM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Travel

• We've been on several cruises, they are a lot of fun! The water is safe to drink, and they have bottled water as well. The food is typically very fresh - you also have a choice between buffet & actual sit-down meals.There is a medical staff on board, as well as a "sick bay" in case you need it. There are tons of activities - usually something going on all throughout the day and evening. Most have a casino, several restaurants, dance clubs, even movie theaters.

Your best bet is to look at several of the cruise websites, depending on the length of time and the ports of call there will be different things to do both on board and offshore. Carnival tends to be the least expensive, and offers 3-4 day cruises if you just want to try one out before deciding to go for a longer time.

Have fun!!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:08 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I went Royal Caribbean a few years ago. I was 26 weeks pregnant and drank a little of the water but not a whole lot. We bought mugs that we could refill with anything non-alcoholic all day long, so I drank more ginger ale, sprite, coke, juice, and hot tea (our ship had a whole basic coffee/tea bar). Not the best but I didn't want to drink much water, and I don't remember there being much bottled water - or if there was it was really expensive.

Food - cold stuff is on ice, hot stuff is in a heater pan thingy, and as many people as there are, and as much as they have different options at different times, nothing sits long (I think the main lunch buffet was probably the "longest" and that wasn't long!). A lot of the little here & there options (pizza at night, burgers at lunch, etc) they make to order, and of course if you go to the fancy restaurants it's all made to order. I had no problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Not sure about a doctor, but there were nurse-practitioners on ours, and they had quite the arsemal (one lady in the group we were with went with a bladder infection, and they had the antibiotic that her regular doctor usually gives her, so she was happy - but it wasn't cheap - I think she said they billed $200 to their tab).

The newer Royal Caribbean boats have endless possibilities - the boat we were on was the biggest in their fleet at them time, but the newer one was being built - ours had rock climbing, multiple pools, tons of shows, activities for adults & kids, a whole childcare program (free!), workout rooms, spas, shopping, casino, oh man, more than I can remember - plus of course in your ports-of-call there are the onshore things! The newer RC ship has waaaaaaay more than ours had - BIL's fam went, boys 12, 11, 10, 3 - and they have every intention of going again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I've been on 12 cruises. They are a great way to travel. Yes, the water is fine on the ships...you can also purchase bottled on board for a nice little charge. There are docs on every ship. The food is fine. There are dining rooms, as well as buffets on the Lido deck. Most ships now have other restaurants on board that have a charge to them..there are coffee bars also. Some of the Royal ships have Johnny Rockets or Ben & Jerry's on them as well....
    There is too much to type about cruises...PM me with specific questions and I'll try to answer them for you!
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 3:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• id love to go also
    san78

Answer by san78 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I have had a great time on most of the cruises I have gone on. The food is fresh and plentiful and yummy. You can do the whole sit down dinner thing or the buffet. The food is wonderful!! The water is safe and they have bottled water. They do have a doctor on board and an infirmary. Actually had to use it one the last cruise as one of my friends got really sick. They were great! It depends on what cruise you go on and what boat you choose as to what is available on board. Most have one or two swimming pools, clubs, bars, kids activities (mini camp type places), casionos, shuffle board, and plenty of people to meet and talk to. Depending on where you go you can do excursions. I have been on Carnival, Big Red Boat and Royal Carribean. The most family friendly one, that I liked, was Carnival.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:35 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Hope you have fun.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 9:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Have dealt with both- I like the Dr. on Carnival better tha RCCL. The whole scenario was played out completely different on each- Carnival wins hands down in that dept! Food is Not "left out for hours" It is prepared fresh- nothing to worry about. Check ou www.cruisecritic.com mor lots of helpfull info!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:25 PM on Jan. 24, 2011