My son has a big lump on each side of his neck and theyre painful , im wondering does anyone know what this could be?

he's had ear and throat infections lately and he just got done taking his meds i dont know what it could be and im thinking maybe i need to take him back to the er?

MsBrazil86

Asked by MsBrazil86 at 9:06 AM on Jan. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• i would call doc
    sounds related to recent infections for sure

sure hope little guy is feeling better
    hang in there
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:09 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• ER or urgent care center- could be severely swollen glands- but since he just finished an antibiotic- he may need something stronger. I wouldnt wait until Mon to see the Dr. if I were you. If he gets too swollen in his neck, it could close off this throat-making it hard for him to breathe. Poor thing- hope he feels better soon. GL mama
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:09 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Yes, definitely you have to. Because it can be mumps. And it is not a nice thing to have. So get your son and take him back to the ER. Has he got the Mumps, Measel, Rubeola shot? If not it definitely can be mumps. Which is one of the most dangerous illness. I hope he doesn't it. And I hope he got the shot. Poor baby:(
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 9:10 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• There are glands on both sides of your neck and in the back that sometimes will swell and even be quite painful. If he has been fighting an illness then it wouldn't surprise me if that's what it is, mine swell when I'm fighting an illness. If he finishes his meds and they are still swollen then I would take him in but I wouldn't be too concerned with them at this point. Good luck!
    jazegurl5

Answer by jazegurl5 at 9:10 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• sounds like he should be seen again by a pro.
    ThankfullyProud

Answer by ThankfullyProud at 9:11 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• My son had a HUGE swollen lump on the side of his neck last spring. It looked like half a baseball sticking out of his neck!!! It turned out to be a swollen lymphnode. Pretty common but also NEEDS to be looked at becase it can need medication.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 9:31 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Probably a swollen gland. Unless he is running a high fever or acting lethargic, you can probably wait until Monday and take him to a regular doctor.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:36 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• sounds like strep. or possible tonsillitis (sp?)...i would def take him back to the dr asap. or could even been an allergic reaction to the meds. GL
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 9:44 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I agree with the swollen glands. Mine swell when I'm sick, and if he's been fighting throat infections, that's probably why they're swollen. Is he running a fever? If not, I'd just give him some tylenol for the pain, and take him to his pediatrician on Monday if it hasn't gotten better. The only way I'd do er is if he's running a high fever or the pain is unbearable.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 10:02 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Yes it's swollen glands. After an illness they can often stay swollen for a while even after all the other symptoms have gone. Call your Dr. though to be on the safe side.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:02 AM on Jan. 22, 2011