Abercrombie fails in getting records released

Abercrombie's "mission" was to discredit the birthers by stating that he knew for a fact that Obama's birth certificate was in the state archives--that the record was written there, and it was just a matter of time before he would be able to end the controversy over whether or not Obama is a natural born citzen.

However, a week later, it seems as if we're back to square one, as Hawaii will NOT release Obama's records:

***

A privacy law that shields birth certificates has prompted Democratic Gov. Neil Abercrombie to abandon efforts to dispel claims that President Barack Obama was born outside Hawaii, his office says.

State Attorney General David Louie told the governor that privacy laws bar him from disclosing an individual's birth documentation without the person's consent, Abercrombie spokeswoman Donalyn Dela Cruz said Friday.

"There is nothing more that Gov. Abercrombie can do within the law to produce a document," said Dela Cruz. "Unfortunately, there are conspirators who will continue to question the citizenship of our president."

Abercrombie, who was a friend of Obama's parents and knew him as a child, launched an investigation last month into whether he can release more information about the president's Aug. 4, 1961 birth.

The governor said at the time he was bothered by people who questioned Obama's birthplace for political reasons.

But Abercrombie's attempt reached a dead end when Louie told him the law restricted his options."

http://www.wfmz.com/news/26578545/detail.html

***

Interesting.  I think Abercrombie said what he said for political posturing.  I'll bet a bunch of people voted for him because of what he SAID he would do, knowing full well, the laws of his state. 

Your thoughts?!

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 9:25 AM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't understand why Obama won't just release the information? The public has access to most president's birth records - why doesn't he just show them and be done with this? I honestly don't get it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:31 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Makes sense to me..how could he not know this
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:28 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• It makes me think he is not American born Only because he will not show birth certificate !!

Who spends $$$$$$$ to keep their BC hidden?
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:49 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I honestly think the record does not exist - that doesn't mean he isn't a citizen, it just means the actual physical piece of paper does not exist. It's hardly a unique situation - if you've ever done any genealogy you find all over the place there are things that are just gone - floods, fires, wars, even mold, and the older the records are, the more likely it is something has happened to them.

Where things get screwed up is nobody being up front about that from the start. Yes, it may have kept him out of the running, but that's not unique either. There's no shortage of people excluded from running for public office due to reasons that are beyond their control. Since they couldn't be bothered, this is never going away - you can't prove a negative. It's as much his legacy as the recession.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:31 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Even Chris Matthews, the chill up my leg man, said that PBO should release the records. He expressed concern that there seems to be such a secrecy to the records. Now, when Matthew calls for the records, PBO is in trouble.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:46 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

LOL....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

Agree
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I see what you're saying, NP, but it just seems too much of a coincidence. A responsible person would be getting to the bottom of it. If it doesn't exist because of the scenarios you described, then why doesn't PBO come out and say that. The fact that he doesn't even acknowledge the debate over his birth status makes it all the more questionable (especially if there is a valid reason why he cannot present a physical copy of the birth certificate).
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

But there is such an easy answer to this. When we went on a cruise 3 years ago we needed our birth certificates since we didn't have passports. We only had the hospital one for hubby, not the official one we needed. I contacted the county he was born in, sent them a check and they sent us a copy of his birth certificate. I did the same thing for our marriage license. Heck, I had to do it for me too. Not hard, doesn't cost much either. You CAN get a copy at any time.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 5:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Maybe Obama likes the attention it stirs! As soon as he releases his BC, nobody is going to care or have anything to talk about!
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 10:06 AM on Jan. 22, 2011