My daughter has been constipated on and off for 3 months now. I have talked to the doctor about it several times and they tell me to give her Karo Syrup...it doesnt help...does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can give her to help her have a BM??

Tatumsmommy0123

Asked by Tatumsmommy0123 at 8:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have y tried switching formulas she might be getting to much iron.
    Anonymous

• and alittle bit of prune juice or apple should help!
    Anonymous

• Been there done that. I added about 2-3 ounce bottle of water between feedings. If she is eating cereal, mix it with juice instead of formula, that helped too. Stay away from oatmeal cereal, will make it worse. K
    keepitsimple088

Answer by keepitsimple088 at 8:28 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• if she is old enough to eat solids, i would reccomend making your own baby food. i used to steam apples and pears (peeled and diced). sprinkle some cinnamon and nutmeg~ soothing to the stomach~ and mash it to a consistancy that is appropriate for her age. SAVE THE WATER! it will have some of the nutrients from the fruit. i would give her the juice in a bottle or sippy. the fruit helps get thinging "going" and the spices help her tummy feel better!
    IGotLuckyInKy

Answer by IGotLuckyInKy at 8:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• What do you mean by constipated? Some moms think a child is constipated if they don't go every day. Not so. A child is only constipated if it is hard for them to go or if the poop is hard.
    Does your child strain to go? Does she cry in pain when she goes? Is her poop small or hard?
    If NOT, your doctor's office knows she is fine and knows that a little bit of karo syrup won't hurt her. They are telling you to use it to make YOU feel better since she doesn't have a problem but you think she does.
    If she DOES have these symptoms, take a sample to the office. Tell them what she looks like when she goes - knees drawn up tight to the chest, bright red face, holding her breath, screaming and crying the whole time. Make them listen to you and make them give you suggestions of what you can do to ease it for good (like dropping rice, oatmeal, bananas) and what you can give her besides karo syrup when she does have a problem.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I need more information from you to be able to help. I need to know what she eats, how often, and what her symptoms are. Karo syrup is not recommended for babies, they even specify it on their website. It carries a slight risk for botulism poisoning. Give us all the details, and we will hopefully help you to resolve this.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:35 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I agree w/ kaycee14 - if she were constipated she'd eithe rbe upset while trying to go or when she did go it would be like hard pellets...

When mine did get constipated; they also told me sugar water (not necessarily Kayro, but same thing) - normally they only get 1/3 juice to 2/3's water; but if they were constipated I'd give them full strength Apple or Prune as other posters suggested and that usually helped as well...

We also mixed our cereal with juice instead of formula...as keepitsimple088 said
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:43 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• She is 7 months old. She eats in baby food: bananas,mixed fruit,applesauce,sweet potatoes. She wont eat any other baby foods, anything else she gets from the table like green beans, peas etc. She eats rice, oatmeal, barley cereal. In the mornings i mix her cereal with apple juice and she gets 2-3 oz of water a day. She only poops every other day, and when she does it is one small hard pellet. Thanks for the advice so far :)
    Tatumsmommy0123

Answer by Tatumsmommy0123 at 10:14 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Thanks for the added info!
    Drop the oatmeal and rice cereals. They plug up the works. (Remember that if she gets diarehea!) Stick with plain barley cereal.
    Drop the bananas - they also plug up most people.
    Try prune juice instead of apple.
    Give it a week. If it doesn't help, go back to the doctor and take a poop sample with you. You can store it in the fridge if your appointment isn't the same day. Tell them what she does when she poops. Show them the little hard pellet. Tell them that karo syrup is NOT working. Tell them about the dietary changes you've made. Tell them you want to know what else to try. Ask them if you should try miralax. Miralax is not a laxative and it is not absorbed by the body like a drug. It simple acts like a big sponge - sucking up water and trapping it in the poop so the poop can't get hard no matter how long it takes for the baby to go.
    Good luck!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• WELL MY DAUGTHER WA FINE INTILL SHE STARTED HER BABY FOOD WELL I TRIED KARO SYROP IT DID NOT WORK THEY TOLD ME TO PRUNE IT DID NOT WORK APPLE JUICE TOO NOTHING THEY TOLD DESCRIPTED ME SOME MEDDICEN CALLED LACTOLOOSE IT HELPS A LITTLE BIT BUT NOW SHE GOING TO A SPEACALIST TO WHATS WRONG WITH HER STOMACH
    U NEED TO SWITCH HER TO OATMEAL GRAIN AND PUT HER APPLE JUICE WITH IT AND GIVE WATER TOO IF NOTHING WORKS CALL THE DOCTOR FOR MORE INFORMATION LIKE I SAID SHE STILL CONSTOPATED RIGHT NOW AND SHES GOING TO BE 7 MONTHS ON SUNDAY I CRY WHEN SHE GOES POOP BUT OTHER THEN SHES A HAPPY BABY
    Mamacita25

Answer by Mamacita25 at 11:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2008