I want to make a pumpkin banana bread, but don't have the 1/2 cup of honey it calls for. What can I use instead?

I might have 1/4 cup, could I use it and 1/4 cup of something else? There is 1/2 cup sugar in the recipe already. I do not have molasses or Karo syrup or anything like that.

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Is the honey for flavor, or does it help with the consistency? If it's for flavor, it might be okay without it. Or with just the 1/4 cup that you have.

Answer by Eviesmommy at 9:39 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• You could always go with maple syrup.

Answer by misses_nick at 9:42 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Try applesauce and a bit of white sugar or brown sugar... You'll retain both the moistness and sweetness needed in the recipe.

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:20 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I think it's for both. I don't notice the flavor of it usually, but I really don't think it would be the same without. I decided to send my DD over to my IL's to raid their stash.

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:30 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I would think the same amount of karo syrup (corn syrup) or maybe even maple syrup would work and also add a new flavor that would be quite tasty!
    Otherwise, try google and type in "substitutions for honey in sweet bread recipe" and I'll bet you get some hits?
    Happy Baking!

Answer by bonnieblue06 at 12:46 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• maple syrup
    agave syrup
    brown rice syrup

Answer by rkoloms at 4:29 PM on Jan. 22, 2011