HTML on CM

Those of you that have used it on here ... how does it appear to YOU when you post your question?

In other words, when you post, do you see the HTML code that you put in or do you see what it is supposed to look like?

Do you see this:

a href="http://www.cafemom.com/answers/URL%20%20address" target="_blank">I DIDN'T DO IT< /a > (I removed the left angle so it would show the HTML)

or this:

I DIDN'T DO IT  (not a real link)

Just curious ... for some reason I can't get the HTML to work right. 

**and why do we not have a PREVIEW button for posting questions???

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 9:41 AM on Jan. 22, 2011 in About CafeMom

• Instead of typing it, copy and paste directly into the link pop up window (where you'd type I DIDN'T, highlight that and click the link button). It may be something between your browser and CM that it's not liking that messes your links up, but when you use the insert/edit link window, it formats them the way it wants them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:34 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Depends on which mode it's in. If it's in full editor, it shows the link (your I DIDN'T example). If it's in plain-text, it shows the full html. When your answer is too long and it yells at you, it automatically flips the screen back to plain text, but if you click full editor again, it goes back to showing up as a link. The downside is there's no character counter in full edit, so you can't tell if you've removed enough to make it fit into the limit unless you toggle back and forth.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:44 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• THANKS NP!! I was hoping you would see this question b/c I've noticed that you use links a lot. =)

I don't understand why the don't have the character count on full editor. It really gets annoying when answering a question because I like using colors, bold and italics!

Like I said above, for some reason I cannot get the HTML to work. When I use it and hit post, it still shows the HTML code instead of what it is supposed to look like. I was just wondering if there was a trick I was missing that is specific to CM.

We REALLY do need a preview button. Maybe I'll send them that suggestion.
    SpiritedWitch

Comment by SpiritedWitch (original poster) at 9:55 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Are you trying to paste full html code directly into plain text or are you going through the full editor?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:01 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Full editor ... weirdly, when I typed the question above ... I started in plain text and when I clicked over to full, the link looked right. BUT what I typed in plain text should NOT have worked.

This is what I typed in plain: a href="URL ADDRESS" target="_blank">I DIDN'T DO IT< /a >

I did not type the address that appears in my OP.
    SpiritedWitch

Comment by SpiritedWitch (original poster) at 10:06 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Cool ... thanks!!!
    SpiritedWitch

Comment by SpiritedWitch (original poster) at 12:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2011