How effective do you think this will really be?

Wallyworld taking up Mo's idea to stop childhood obesity? I mean really some Americans are too far gone and conditioned to eat junk (Doritoes,little Debbie,Stoffers..etc).Some,who feel a bit guilty for indulging,will wash it all down with a diet soda thinking that makes it all alright.That is their daily or almost daily eating habits.They won't even like the taste of healtheir/lower fat foods and most certainly aren't going to suddenly say to themselves,'Oh Walmart has this non junk food ditch the Doritoes and Ho Ho's I want that apple!' Yeah right..Walmart and most other stores already sell alot of healtheir choices and if those folks aren't biting them now they won't be any time soon..imo

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/nation/wal-mart-to-make-sell-healthier-foods-1197008.html

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 10:04 AM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It's not going to help a thing. WalMart is trying to jump on the childhood obesity bandwagon, hoping to be seen as a company that cares about the communities they serve. Education is the only thing that's going to help the problem - and it seems like some Americans just aren't willing to listen to the message.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:14 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Processed crap is still processed crap. If it has more than 5 ingredients, it's still processed crap, even if you use Splenda or pure cane instead of corn syrup and change the source of your food dyes. The fact that they are "walmart products" is what puts them in the unhealthy category. The healthy ones are in the produce section, the meat section, and the dairy section, but there's not a lot of room to pad the profit margin on those since it's only one thing - an egg is an egg and an apple is an apple.

I do have to laugh at the quote in there from the WM exec though, about how people shouldn't have to choose between affordable and healthy - they don't - if they stick to the meat, produce and dairy sections, with a few select items from the drygoods, they will pay TONS less than they do for WM's processed crap, no matter how much they charge for it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:20 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I get so tired of hearing people say 'ooohhhh, that's nasty'. My response always is, "No, the food is clean. I/they don't serve dirty food. You might not like the taste, but it isn't nasty." If parents would eat food with their kids that even they don't particularly like and say it is good, get them to try new foods, and experiment with cooking, the obesity thing might start being under control. We are wanting immediate meals, easy meals, and that is all we want. Learn to cook. Make your kids eat what you cook even if they fuss. They will eat when they get hungry. Stop buying the junk in bulk. A few chips are ok; a whole bag.....not so much.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I agree that they probably already have plenty of healthy choices overall if they're layout out is like any other grocery store--if you spend more time shopping the perimeter then you will probably have more healthy choices than if you do most of your shopping in the middle of the store.

On the other hand, they also make a lot of their own products, so reducing sugar and sodium in their store brands is a step in the right direction IMO. I think doing more to encourage customers to shop the produce section would be the most helpful (by having sales for those products, advertising more), but people will still make their choices whatever changes they make. Unfortunately a lot of people will still choose to spend $3 on a bag of chips instead of an avocado (just an example).
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:14 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• No, I don't think it will make much of an impact. It might make a few people think a little harder about their food choices when they go to the store (not because they didn't think about it before - but more because of obesity being an issue). I don't think it will change peoples eating habits though. They don't buy doritos and funions because they think they are healthy. They buy them because they think it tastes good. It would take probably a good 2-4 weeks of a dietary to become accustomed to a change in taste. It's well worth it, but many people are too impatient to let it work. Healthier choices don't taste bad, they just taste different. If you don't program your body to crave those foods, their body will still be wanting the doritos, funions and diet soda.  Just like you can't legislate moral issues successfully, you can't legislate food and dietary issues successfully.  JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:40 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Wal Mart can do all they want but it comes down to the parent...Lazy Parents who don't take an interest in the betterment of their children and LEAD by example develop Lazy Children.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:03 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I think people make unhealthy choices because they are not educated on what healthy REALLY is. Is it going to stop obesity? No, but it's a step in the right direction.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:19 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I understand that stores, etc are trying to highlight healthier food choices, education about foods and their effects on the body, what the body needs, etc is important at a young age. The things is though, that even with all the education in the world, people are still going to exercise their right to eat what they want and how much of it they want. While education, etc IS important, people being people, you simply cannot educate obesity away....if you could, there wouldn't be over-weight, obese adults, let alone children.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 12:10 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• What NP said!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• If you're making 'nilla wafers at home, you'll have a much better idea of exactly what is in them. So, that's not a bad idea. Plus, they're probably cheaper and, as you've already said, they'll taste better. Sounds like a win to me.

The more manufacturers tinker with foods (and the more I learn about *how* they tinker with foods), the more I want to move to the hills and grow my own everything. And the more I now cook from scratch.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2011