Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How do you keep a long marriage strong and successful?!

I just read on another post women who have been married for 30ish and 40ish years!  How do you keep a marriage strong for that long?  What are some tricks you've learned a long the way?  Spill it!  :)

 
MrsHouston47302

Asked by MrsHouston47302 at 10:21 AM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Relationships

Level 40 (118,081 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • I was once told b a family member that no matter what happens in a relationship and no matter the stereotypes there will always be a time when one person will do 90% and the other 10%. If you think that you are at a point where you are doing everything just remember that it will turn around and you will be able to be the one doing 10 eventually.... another thing they said is to pick what you battle over... in other words if it is something your spouse wants that you don't really care about then let it go... dont fight unnecessarily.
    vchristineg

    Answer by vchristineg at 10:37 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

  • Jazegurl got it right on the head. I've only been with my SO for 14 years, but that's how we keep it alive. What also keeps us together is our respect for each other and our differences. We don't call each other names (unless we're playing around), don't put each other down, etc. You must also be fair with your judgments if you do get angry with eachother; that's part of RESPECT.
    LizardAgent

    Answer by LizardAgent at 10:36 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

  • SEX!! And I know that sounds like I'm not taking the question seriously but I am. Sex is extremely important to a healthy relationship,it relieves stress and tension and sometimes it's easier for a man to express himself sexually rather than verbally. I would also say learning to choose your battles wisely and knowing when to just walk away and take a breather are helpful. If you push to hard at each other things get said out of frustration or anger that can't be taken back.
    jazegurl5

    Answer by jazegurl5 at 10:28 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

  • My DH and I will be married 25 years in April and the best advice I can give you that has worked for us is....COMPROMISE! If we disagree on an issue-we come to an agreement that we can both live with instead of each of us being mad, because we feel each of us is right and not willing to budge.
    Queenofscrap

    Answer by Queenofscrap at 10:33 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

  • Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!  Yep, you are so right!

    MrsHouston47302

    Comment by MrsHouston47302 (original poster) at 10:30 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

  • That is so true.  That works period!  Love it!

    MrsHouston47302

    Comment by MrsHouston47302 (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN