What do you suggest we do about childhood obesity? Or obesity in general?

Do you agree with revamping school menus, offering healthy choices, limiting certain fats and posting nutrition information in an effort to educate children and adults or do you think everyone should just stay out of it and if people are fat just assume that it's because they want to be that way and let them figure it out on there own???

skittles1108

Asked by skittles1108 at 10:25 AM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know anyone who has said "oh yes, let me start down the path to obesity".  It depends on where it's coming from.  Is it hereditary?  Is eating too much fast food to blame?  If someone WANTS to be obese, more power to them.  No, education should not be shoved down their throats because it's their body and that's what they've decided.  To those who do want to learn about nutrition and a healthy diet, yes educate, educate, educate.  :)

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Oh, and I responded for "obesity in general". 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:31 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Convince the public that ALL fast food is BAD. Too much salt & fat. That is what busy parents are feeding their kids setting them up for several severe medical conditions in the future. I find it impossible to eat out at restaurants even like Friday's, Applebees, Friendly's or places like that because the amount of salt they use is sickening to me.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:31 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Teach people to cook from scratch and explain why a "healthy choice" pre-packaged food isn't really healthy when it has as much salt as the trucks in the city garage do in January. In other words - put home ec back in school, and make everyone take it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:36 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I say offer the healthy options and educate people definitely, but just like anything else weather people decide to use what they know is up to them.
    jazegurl5

Answer by jazegurl5 at 10:38 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I believe it is in part from the families where both parents work long hours and its easier to pick up pizza or order in because their schedules are too full with work,playdates,kids activities to take that hour to fix a meal.
    The new parenting is it give in to your kids,give them whatever they want so they don't cry or dislike you
    Kids don't go out to play anymore. They sit in front of the game system
    I have 3 nephews and 1 neice,and all range from overweight to obese. My 4 year old nephew weighs more than my 9 year old,topping the scales at 75 lbs!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:39 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I agree with putting home ec back in the schools.I learned many good things in home ec...still couldn't quite get sewing down though.I also had a blast in home ec..Cut out some of the bs social jargon in school and get back to basics..you know learning real academics..home ec and gym (for an actual grade!) are the extras we REALLY need.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:42 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• taking home ec is not going to solve the problem, cause your only learning for an hour a day on cooking. but if we teach kids from the beginning on eating right and cooking right then we will see a decline. but you can not force people to do these things so it is actually a personal effort. and school lunches need to be revamped and they need to give more food for bigger kids so they are not starving when they come home and eat junk right away cause it is quick and easy.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 10:44 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I just joined weight watchers with my 18 yr old dd and we are both loosing weight. It has been amazing to LEARN about calories and cholesterol. The point system weight watchers uses is so educational, we even take a calculator to the grocery store. It hasnt been a horrible diet either, its retraining yourself to eat healthy. I would love to see a class like this in the high schools. We had a booster meeting for a school class the other night at Subway, it was a fund raiser and I bought subs. I havent bought fast food in months. Not only was it super expensive, but it didnt taste half as good as the food we make at home now.

beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:48 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Oh I agree that it wouldn't solve the problem but it couldn't hurt either.The parents are the real driving force behind this and without them being the example EARLY ON and having consistentcy it will be a lost cause.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:48 AM on Jan. 22, 2011