What chores do you assign your children and at what ages?

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 10:29 AM on Jan. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• My kids each have a responsibility chart. On it I have everything from brushing teeth, showering, to individual chores and xtra credit. My 15 yr old has dishes and one bathroom. My 13 yr old has table and counters and trash. My 10 yr old has a bathroom and vaccuming the living & dining room. My 8 yr old has backyard pickup and vaccuming the family room. They all have to clean their own rooms and help with the laundry. They take turns on the sweeping and mopping. All of this is how they earn their allowance.
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 10:07 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Our 3 and 5 year old have easy stuff, revolves around them doing things they should already be doing themselves...

Our 15 year old does a chore here and there... one day it might be the bthroom (their bathroom), another day he needs to clean the hamster cage, the next day would be the livingroom... etc

MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:33 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Mines 9, he takes the recyclables to out to the bins, take the garbage can to the road and back once a week and hangs his own laundry.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:30 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• My 12 year old does the dishes usually every day. I do let him skip a day here and there and I will do it.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 10:39 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• His only assigned chores are making sure the cat has water and picking up his laundry, he is 4 years old. I expect him to help me with cleaning the fish and keeping the livingroom clean. He also takes out light bags of garbage if asked and puts laundry away.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 10:39 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• My osn is 3 and has no chores..but generally we clear up his toys once he is done playing with them and about 90% of the time he is happy to help. He also always wants to help clean and I always give him a cloth and he likes helping with the washing up. I don't think I will ever give him chores he has to do but will always encourage him to help out.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 10:50 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• My son is 4, he gets the rabbit its water, puts his toys away, and helps dry the dishes. If he were taller he'd help out with laundry, but he can't reach his closet to hang the clothes. But he asks to help and when I do towels he puts those away, and he'll help fold socks when I tackle those. And he doesn't do any of the chores on his own yet, I have to say the rabbit needs water, or go straighten up your toys, but they are things he'll do independently once asked. But if I don't ask the toys will stay out for days, or the rabbit would get dehydrated lol.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2011