Can I have a glass of Wine with our night out (breastfeeding a 2 month old)?

My parents are taking our son for the night so we can go out and have time to ourselves. My husband has this romantic night planned and ordered a small bottle of wine for the occasion on Saturday. I was just wondering if I could have a glass of it or should I stay away from it and just bring it home for some other time. I am breastfeeding my son who is 2 months and I don't want it affecting him. Please let me know. Thanks for your time. My dr said it was ok but he is a man and gave me some bad advice when I was prego so just wanted to check with some other moms who are breastfeeding or have.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you are fine.....you dont even have to pump and dump the next day....I talked to my Dr. and he said the baby feels what you feel so if you are feeding and drunk the baby will be drunk but by the next morning the baby wont have the effects of alcohol b/c you body had processed it...enjoy...I drank wine on occation and my baby girl is fine!!
    Anonymous

• your body will metabloize the alcohol right out of the milk at a rate of one serving per hour. you are fine.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 8:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• It's perfectly ok, just make sure it's a small amount (a serving of wine is smaller than most people think, most wine glasses will actually hold two or more!). If you're concerned, you can pump and dump afterwards. Everyone's metabolism is different, so you're body may not have worked it out of your system in an hour or two (though usually you're safe two hours later). Have a great time!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 9:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Dont pump and dump, its a waste. Your body will remove the alcohol from the breastmilk. If you do pump any milk and are wondering if its safe there are testers you can get online that will tell you if there is an unsafe alcohol level present in the breastmilk.
    NewMum2007

Answer by NewMum2007 at 9:31 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• It is fine to have 1 to 2 drinks. The only reason to pump would be if you were away for a long time, and you needed to pump to keep up supply, but you would not have to dump it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:33 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• a glass of wine shouldn't do anyharm. everyone above are right. have a great night out!!!!
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 9:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• my Ped who is a great doctor... he told me that two glasses or wine, or two drinks is fine... cause by the time we got home, at night, and the baby would wake up the next morning and need to nurse there wouldnt be any worry of baby getting any alcohol. Also, he told me that caffeine was the one to worry about more.. i still havent drank alcohol or caffeine, but knowing that i could if i wanted to and our boy would be alright... take care, and enjoy your night out... !!!
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:50 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Alcohol will leave your breastmilk at the same rate it leaves your bloodstream. So really it al depends on your tolerance. One or two glasses shouldn't hurt. Hope you have fun!
    Anonymous