What helps a 6 month old sleep through the night? The rice cereal doesn't work he still wakes up and wants a full bottle. Ped says I shouldn't feed him but he cries as if he's starving! HELP!!

Romez86

Asked by Romez86 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when my ds would wake up, i'd give him a bottle....he was waking up b/c he was hungry, so i fed him :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:48 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Wow! Your doctor is a quack! A 6 month old should still be getting night feedings!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:49 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• He still needs to eat. You can tell if he's hungry. Just give him the bottle. My kids didn't sleep through until after a year.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:49 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• He doesn't need cereal now. It is too early to stop night time feedings IMO. It is normal that he is still waking. Hang in there.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:49 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Cereal will not help a baby sleep through the night. And your pediatrician is WRONG. FEED your baby when he wakes up, he is hungry. He is a growing baby and needs the nutrients. I would also find a different pediatrician.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:50 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Thanks guys! Most of my friends just tell me that their babies have been sleeping through the night by his age.
    Romez86

Comment by Romez86 (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Yes I agree - feed your baby. My son is 3 and didn't sleep through the night for the first 2 years...and doesn't now but that is only because he gets up in the night for the toilet :)
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:02 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I forgot to mention that he just turned 6 months and he's already 23 lbs. So he is a little over weight.
    Romez86

Comment by Romez86 (original poster) at 11:03 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• If he's hungry .. Feed Him.
    I suggest starting him on pureed foods and making sure he gets a full meal of pureed foods for dinner.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:11 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• All baby's are different. My 2 boys got up constantly until a yr or so. My 1st daughter slept through the night from 2 mo on. And my 2nd daughter who is 6 mo now generally sleeps good too. But unless your son is drastically overweight from being fed too much, you should feed him when he's hungry. Trying to introduce him to a schedule now may help as well. He prob. won't take to it right away, but eventually it may help him to associate certain rutines w/ bedtime. Some mom's do bathtime, then feeding and bed. Some do just feeding and bed at a certain time every night.
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 11:15 AM on Jan. 22, 2011