Engorgement Hell!!!

I just stopped breastfeeding my second baby (she's eight months old). I'm in PAIN. What's worse is that the little one and her elder brother keep trying to cuddle at night ( I co-sleep in between both kids) and cant seem to get (understandably) why I wont. I tried an ice-pack this morning and had temporary relief. Also been popping Paracetamol like it was going out of fashion. I move like a zombie and I feel like I'm dying. The last time (roughly 4 years ago) I had to have some medication to help with the drying-up and had to call in sick for about two weeks cos I was feverish. Please, any ideas how long Im gonna have to be in this pain hell? I know the actual drying up could last up to weeks butI'd like to know how long this painful initial stage will last. I cant call in sick cos Im on the verge of losing my job, HELP!!!!!

whiskey80

Asked by whiskey80 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try taking a really warm shower..let the water run over your breasts and express some milk by hand until you feel that the pressure is relieved....don't express all of it, or your body will continue to produce more...if you have a pump, start pumping each day and then taper off...(the best way in my opinion)...eventually just start spreading out the pumping, or hand expressing sessions and it will slow down until you're not uncomfortable anymore...engorgement is an AWFUL feeling...good luck :) also, you can try taking a diaper and soaking it with very warm water and hold one over each breast...it will start to release the milk on its own from the warmth and give you some relief. you don't want it to get bad or you could get mastitis, which is not a good thing...if it doesn't go away with any of the tips, you should call doc :) beautiful babies by the way :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:18 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• You need to go back to nursing and wean SLOWLY. What you're doing now is risking infection, which is what happened to you last time. You got mastitis and that's NOT normal nor is it okay. You could land yourself in the hospital with a very, very serious infection.

Start nursing again, then drop one feeding per week. If that's too quickly and you're still getting engorged, then go slower. Basically, drop a feeding and wait for your body to adjust to the change, then drop another.

Quitting cold turkey is not healthy for you and you should NOT be in pain from weaning. Again, please please go back to nursing and do it more slowly. Just hearing about you being in pain is so heartbreaking and it's just not needed.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:17 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• can't help you there but i have to say you have two of the most beautiful children i've ever seen! :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• have you every tring go back to the doctor and tell him that you need something new because thee other stuff not working
    tammy372011

Answer by tammy372011 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Put green cabbage leaves in your bra. they are cooling for one and they are said to help dry you up as well.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:19 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Thanks,josiesmommy00!!
    whiskey80

Comment by whiskey80 (original poster) at 10:57 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I gave you a bump, so sorry you are going through this
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:06 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Wow your kids are gorgeous, with beautiful complexions and eyes! As for your question, I don't really have an answer...sorry :(
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 11:31 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• just express enough so your comfortable that is what i did, and it took longer to get rid of the milk but i wasnt dying from pain.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Listen to LeanneC she knows of what she speaks!!!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 1:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2011