Do you think he is afraid he might fall in love with me?

I have been talking with a man for several months and we have a great connection and I would say we are connected emotionally but not physically yet. He tells me he wants to but can't because he cannot give me more or what he thinks I want so it is not fair to me. At times I wonder if he is truly afraid of hurting me or that I will fall in love with him or if he is perhaps afraid he might fall in love with me. I appreciate his honesty but I think he has fear that he might fall as well, not just me fall for him as he always says. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Relationships

• I went through the same thing with my BD, and a few days ago he told me he met someone new and wants to try things out w/ her. HA! Don't fall for his bullsh*t, in all honesty, if he can't commit, why waste your time? I wish you the best of luck.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 11:16 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Ok, the answer is in your second sentence of this post. Read it again. He tells you he wants to but cant b/c he cannot give you more right now or what he thinks you want right now. Period. He isnt afraid of falling in love, he isnt sure if he can commit and he doesnt want to hurt you if he cant commit. So, take it slow and see where things go. Let him be the one to chase you, thats how it works and if this isnt the guy, then move on to someone who will be ready to commit

beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:21 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• My personal thoughts.

No. He's not afraid to or that he's going to fall in love with you. He is not interested in having a long term committed relationship with you at this time and he knows it. He's telling you that he does not want what you want, and if you continue on in the vain you are going you will end up hurt.

I've learned over the years, maybe really "accepted" is a better term to use than "learned", that most (if not the vast majority) of men are very frank when they speak. Many times women try to read more into what is said, or try to interpret meanings into what is said, or read between the lines to look for some hidden meaning. When really, there is none to be found.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Did you make sure he's not married? That was my first thought. No I don't think he's afraid of falling in love.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:57 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I think he's trying to tell you nicely that he's not interested in having that kind of relationship with you.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 12:44 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• pixie_trix said it best, I think he's just not wanting a relationship and won't say it out right.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• well i just say take it step by step just take easy have a talk with him goodluck mama
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• sounds like he's not that into you.
    I think this was his way of telling you that he's not that interested.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• so basically I should just forget about it all together is pretty much what you are all telling me
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Girl, when a man tells you something, listen. At least he is being honest. I don't think that he is afraid of falling in love. He does not want a long term relationship. I wish more men were that honest, there would be less angry and hurt women in the world.

emilysmom1966

Answer by emilysmom1966 at 7:47 AM on Jan. 23, 2011