Just read that this isn't normal for baby boys...

I always thought it was normal that my son's testicles are sometimes NOT in his scrotum. Actually, lately, it seems that they are USUALLY not. He's 5 months old. They were present at birth and then I remember thinking "Oh, the swelling from birth must have gone down" because they just seemed so much smaller, but really, they just retract into his abdomen so frequently now. I occaisionally see them in his scrotum, but as soon as the air really hits him they retract.

What's going on? Should I call his doctor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't know where you read that but it is common and there is only cause for concern after they hit a year old!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:18 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• He is 5 months old, so he should be going in for his 6 month check up soon. Your pediatrician should be checking them at every appointment. So either your doc noticed it and it isn't a huge deal right now, or he hasn't checked. Either way, next time your son has an appointment, I would mention it.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:20 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Hrm..Our doctor always checked them when my Son was a Baby. But to answer your question, I would call the doctor. Even if you can't go in or whatever, at least try to talk to a nurse who can maybe ask the doctor.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 12:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• But things like that are exactly why you should be taking him to well baby check ups. They don't just check for weight and length and then give shots. they are checking for things like their joint health, their milestones, their sight their hearing...... It's better to take him in for preventative care then only when something is wrong. JIMO
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:35 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I would call the dr.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:17 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Since you said you see them retract when the air hits..... normal natures way of protecting them. But like PP have said go ahead and ask the doc at next appt.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• It's not really an issue until a year or later. My son's were like that. But rightaround a year, they dropped. They sometimes go back in (when he's really cold, or when I change the diaper) but doc says they are fine. He's 20m by the way.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 11:29 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• The three doctors my son saw before he was 9 months old ALWAYS checked his testicles to make sure they were descended. If they're not checking those things, they NEED to check those things. I understand not wanting to go because they only check height and weight and give shots, but that's not what they do. Have you ever seen them moving limbs? They're checking for abnormalities that if caught early, can be fixed with little to no problems.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 12:28 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• The doctor has never checked. We delay vaccinations, and so he hasn't been seen since 2 months. The doctor never checked his genitalia, just his ears, eyes, mouth, heart and lungs. Weight and length... and I can do all of that at home. No need for me to take him in, you know?

We won't see the doctor again unless he's sick until 8 months when we start shots.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I see what you're saying... except the doctor ISN'T checking those things lol. And none of the doctors I've ever seen do (and we've seen three family doctors and two pediatricians).
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Jan. 22, 2011