WHAT KINDS OF THINGS HELP A BABY LEARN?

TELL ME YOUR SECRETS.. I WANT TO KNOW.

BTW... IN ALL MY QUESTIONS I DO SELECT A BEST ANSWER.. I LIKE TO GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE.. SO.. BEAR THAT IN MIND!

2boys4momma

Asked by 2boys4momma at 11:24 AM on Jan. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Everything helps a baby learn. Every experience builds a memory which a child will continue to draw upon (usually in their subconscious). Babies learn socialization & emotional development through playing with others & adults. Talking to & touching a baby will help develop their sense of a place in the world.Reading to your baby builds a social connection as well as helping your baby develop stronger emotional ties to you. Cognitive skills are developed through experiences. Touching, tasting, hearing, smelling & seeing are all ways for a baby to build their cognitive skills. Small motor skills are developed by holding small items & grasping things.
    CONT.>
    eeyoreplus4

Answer by eeyoreplus4 at 11:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Reading is #1. Repition is key to teaching things like body parts, counting, etc. I started with showing my ds a few body parts (eyes, nose, tongue) and then asked him to point. After he mastered a few I would add a new one. When he started talking, these were some of his first words. Picture books are also a great way to familiarize kids with things that aren't around the house. Naming things all the time is great. When we go on walks I point out trees, flowers, cars, squirrels, etc. Talking to a child and challenging them is all you need to do. Start young and it will become a habit for you and your child.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 11:42 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I talk to my baby all the time, explaining everyday things to him and asking him questions, even though he can't understand me yet. Like the other poster, we read all the time too. My baby's five months and already loves books :)
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 11:37 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Read, don't have the tv on when the baby is in the room (studies have shown that even educational television is detrimental), take him/her into the world to encounter new stimuli and doing basic sign language for things like bottle while you say the words and give your baby the bottle is said to help early language skills. Avoid programs like your baby can read! They are actually detrimental in the long run. A general rule of thumb is to include your little one in everything you are doing like (s)he was a toddler already.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 11:42 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I've talked to all of my kids like they were little people from the day they were born. (no baby talk, ever) We play counting and color games, and I take every opportunity to teach them something about the world they are living in; even a trip to the grocery store can be a learning experience. Not to brag - but my oldest two are straight A honors kids, and my 3yo is very advanced for his age. It doesn't take fancy "teach your baby to read" programs, it just takes spending "learning time" with them.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• The biggest one is reading. Reading helps your child in so many ways.
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 11:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Talk to your baby. Read to your baby. Take your baby everywhere (museums, stores, etc.). Keep your baby away from TV

Answer by rkoloms at 4:45 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• There is something being offered now where child recognizes words and learns to read early. They can almost read before they can talk. I have a friend who uses something very similar, if not the same and she is so surprised at what her child recognizes. Can have a word, "nose" and he touches his nose and tries to say nose. they recognize their body parts quickly. It is a word recognition and must have the word, the sound speaking the word and then the child touches the spot on them and says the word. Can recognize bunches of words. I am not sure of the name of it. If you are interested, let me know and I'll try to contact her by email and find out what it is called. She is in Japan right now. I have seen something advertised that sounds the same. Might be able to find a copy at the library as I imagine it is not cheap.
    Sweet_Carol_126

Answer by Sweet_Carol_126 at 8:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Bright colors and repetition really! also they love classical music. It really helps develop there brains. My 6 year old is SOOOOO smart and LOVES classical music. he gets so exited when we turn it on for him. baby einstein was another way he was introduced to it. Repition is the best way for any little ones to learn though.
    strawberryLVR

Answer by strawberryLVR at 9:39 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I read a book once that broke it down like this..............
    A. Attention
    B. Bonding
    C. Communication
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 22, 2011