i want to know how would it feel to be a teen mom of two at 18 because i'm bout to have a second baby. and i want to be able to show both of my kids the same much attention when im spending time with them. i don't want to show my newborn more attention and less to my 1 year old. so how can i do that when the other baby come

chyna18

Asked by chyna18 at 11:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• All I can say is GOODLUCK! Because I was a mother at 18 and then had my second at 20. It's not easy, and your 1 year old will probably become rebellious (sp?) And act out a lot, just try to balance them both, and have the 1 yr old help out with the baby.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 11:29 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• patience, patience and more patience!! we used to have the older boys make funny faces at baby, got them involved with eachother. also, kept baby from crying sometimes!! it's gonna be tough, don't be afraid to ask for help, but always ask yourself if you really need it, or are things just getting to hard? cause its gonna be hard, but the fact taht you recognize there could be a problem and trying to resolve it and work on it, is a step in the right direction! good luck! :)
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 11:46 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• there isn't a lot you can do, just have your first child participate in helping you with the new baby. i know he/she prolly can't do a lot, but there are things that they can do to help. and be sure to reward them for their help. it might make them proud to be helping mommy with such an important thing.
    metalmommy2006

Answer by metalmommy2006 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• You really can't. You can't get past the fact that a newborn needs more attention and your toddler shouldn't "need" as much. He should be able to handle playing alone and sharing mommy. My oldest was 15 months when my second was born and there was no way I could give them equal time...not unless I stopped eating and sleeping or doing anything I might enjoy. Older kids don't need constant attention from their parents like newborns do. The best advice I have is involve him in the care of the baby. My oldest helped take dirty diapers to the garbage, brought me clean ones and wipes, helped keep the baby calm during changes, sat with me when I fed him (I was bottle feeding so she'd even get to hold the bottle sometimes). That way they were both getting attention and she LOVED helping. Most of the time I was too tired to do much else and I was 24 at the time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:03 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Thanks everybody :)
    chyna18

Comment by chyna18 (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I was a mother at 16.Had my second 6 years later!No need to panic,you will do fine.It just comes naturally dear!
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 12:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Wow! You win most-depressing-post of the day.

At 18, I was in college learning, having fun, planning a trip to Europe with my friends.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:46 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• It will seem overwhelming for awhile, and that's natural. Just remember that your little one won't remember that mommy didn't spend as much time with her as the new baby. When I had my second, I was lucky enough to have a good support system that I was able to depend on. My parents would take my oldest a lot and do things with her so she still had one on one attention. Try to find a support group in your area that has a play group. That really helps too.
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 9:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• you'll do fine... just involve the older one in as much as possible with the new baby! make the older one still feel important!
    sandjmom99

Answer by sandjmom99 at 10:14 PM on Jan. 22, 2011