Why do younger siblings not listen to the older ones??

I am currently involved in a civil matter in which my husband and I are persuing full custody of my step-children since we now have proof of abuse being done by the ex-wife and her husband.
I posted a Happy Birthday wish for my step-daughter. And of course, the OTHER set of parents attack me for wishing my step-daughter a happy birthday wish. My own SISTER posted a comment to their comments about how all parents involved need to stop fighting and all that. I told her that by including me and my husband in that comment, she was making them think that she was on their side. Sure enough, this morning, the 'step-dad' (I put that in quotes since I have proof that it is really the ex-wife posting under her husband's name) put in how they were trying to create a "good home" for the kids, and how we were causing trouble and all that.

Why in the HECK does younger siblings NOT listen to the OLDER siblings when the OLDER siblings know what the HECK they are talking about???!!!

momnstepmom

Asked by momnstepmom at 12:03 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• People are always going to say things you do not like. It does not change anything. Let them say it. You do not have to read it or agree with it. Just continue to be a good person. On no account reply to their silly behaviour as that will count against you in the custody matter.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 7:44 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• all I can think of is the Peanuts cartoon when the teacher is talking and it all comes out sounding like blah blah blah blah. Thats how it works with my kids anyway
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:11 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Well they are their own person. Let them live and learn from themselves.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:27 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• My sister listens to me, for the most part, but our relationship is different.  We have what is similar to a mother-daughter relationship.

DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:47 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• At mommy of two, I would let her learn on her own, but this failure to come right out and say "hey look I know my step-neice and nephew love my sister and you need to stop fighting with my sister and her husband and stop all this nonsense by trying to make them look bad because all it does is make you look bad" makes THEM think that my own SISTER agrees that I am "a lying crazy psycho bitch" (their words). I just want her to say one way or the other instead of straddling the fence cause when it comes to family the best thing to do is stand by them, no matter how crazy you may think they are at the end of the day they are still your family and you should support them, especially when said family members has proof that the other family is sexually abusing children and your family is trying to get those same kids out of that environment so that they won't be abused anymore.
    momnstepmom

Comment by momnstepmom (original poster) at 1:30 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Sounds like she lacks understanding of the situation and wasn't thinking about supporting you when she made that comment. I hope everything works out for the best for those kids. Lord, please protect these children, in Jesus' name, amen.
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 1:31 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Although it would have been awesome for her to take sides, I think she was just trying to be diplomatic so no one would discredit her by saying she was only defending you because you were related.
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 1:08 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• That would drive me nuts too. Get off the dang fence and into my pasture you dumb cow! That's what I would say to her! j/k!
    Maybe you could tell her to stay out of it completely? Tell her this is really serious and she could be making it worse in court by making you guys sound bad too! Heart to heart? Try to get her to see where you are coming from.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 1:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think Facebook is the evil to all drama created in families! Next time send a card!
    Anonymous

• To Anon, I would have sent a card if I knew that the woman would have given it to my step-daughter in the first place. I knew by posting it on Facebook the child would have a CHANCE of seeing it herself, if not on the Internet then when she came to our house. I also wanted it to be said that we loved our children, especially my step-kids publicly so that the bio-mom would have a chance to either prove herself a capable, mature woman or the child she really is. My sister went overboundaries in supporting the bio-mom instead of her own sister, and therefore, needs to learn the lesson when someone picks water over their blood relatives. Her comments could cause her step-neice and step-nephew their freedom from an abusive home.
    momnstepmom

Comment by momnstepmom (original poster) at 6:32 PM on Feb. 2, 2011