have you ever been or had one of these

Have you ever had an engagement party of your own or ever been to one? I heard of them but never been to one and my daughter 19 is planning to get married July 25 she wants the whole works for the wedding. never met the up coming in laws I figured why not try to hold an engagement party? Plus maybe I can hold out the wedding for a longer date She to young and doesn't have college education and no job...lives with boyfriend as she calls him an finace (whatever) He got her ring from Walmart.....bride He is also married at the present time yes my daughter told me and he has a 2 yr old son. He is 20 yrs old Can you image your child being a stepmom at 19 has no college no job and liveing in gang bang area at the present time? He has a low credit score can't afford anything and bottom of the ladder in the military

Wouldn't you want your child to get married with someone who can support her with everything? yes that includes money and having gettting involved with someone who has no kids and has a better rap sheet.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Relationships

• So what where he got her ring. Walmart has some very nice jewelery at some of it isn't cheap. Do you want him to buy her 10,000 dollar ring or something? Get your nose of the the air.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I have never been to an engagement party. I didn't have one either. Usually the people who do have one, they are also having a big wedding.
    What's wrong with a Walmart ring?
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 12:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• It doesn't matter if he got her rinng from Wal_Mart at least she will have a ring. Unless she can afford the WHOLE works for the wedding I would actually tell her to get her head out of the clouds and give her an amount that you can afford..
    No, I have never been to an engagement party nor had one either
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 12:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• LOL!  A Walmart ring!  LOL!  OP, your funny.  Okay, I haven't thrown an engagement party but I did throw a bachelorette party that was basically the same thing.  We got her female family and his female family together and ate a bunch of food and gossiped.  It was basically a girls night in.  Have you thought about maybe just having some food and people over?  Everything is usually celebrated with food anyways, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:31 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I think an engagement party sounds like a great way to meet and start to get to know his side of the family. If your only doing it in hopes of putting off the wedding then don't bother. He may not be exactly what you want for her, but that isn't going to change her mind. Try to be supportive of her, even if you don't agree with everything she does, otherwise you may just push her away.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:37 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Babe is this a vent or a question, lol!  Yes, I would want my children to have the best.  The Walmart ring is where I got the thought, wow, she's not okay with this marriage, lol.  Breathe mama. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:38 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I remember you, you thought your daughter was too good to marry someone in the military and thought the moms that answered your question were low class and I called you out. First my dad and uncle started out at the bottom and in the end my father was medical officer when he left and my uncle was four bird colonel So anything is possible while he is in the military she can go to school and maybe they should wait until he is done with the other marriage so what  he bought the ring from Wal-mart if its meant to be when he takes care of his old business and they are sure this is what they want they will know.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:38 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• A Walmart ring is nothing to turn your nose up at. My ex-husband bought me one and when I sold it appraised for over $300 and it only cost like $150.

Being 19, a step-mom, and married isn't a bad thing. I was engaged and had a baby at 20.

Yes I would want the very best for my children but I also know that sometimes you have to let them make their own mistakes. I married a freaking joke when i was 19. Couldn't hold down a job. Blew over $2000 of MY tax money (I saw mine because he was sitting on his ass). I had to get a loan to fix my truck because he blew the money.

My parents set back and watched me make the biggest mistake of my life. A mere 9 months later I left and filed for divorce.

As for the engagement party, go ahead and give her one but don't expect her to change her mind. LEt her make her own mistakes or who knows, it may work out. GASP!
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 12:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• My Husband and I have Walmart Wedding Bands. It's all about personal preference (which is what it was for Us) or if money is tight.

Anyway..I've never been to or had an engagement party. And I'm sure they will manage just fine financially. Relax.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 1:14 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Wow I guess you are getting blasted. Look its obvious you love your daughter and you are worried abot her. Now I knw how my mom fet about me. My first husband was horrible(Its oppisite he put the big ring on my finger our aprtment was in ok section) but he treated me horrible. I cant imagine the horrible thoughts my mom had but she let me make the mistake because if she hadnt I would have hated her and never talked to her again. So I did it got hrt horribly, learned a bad lesson got divorced and she helped me pick up ther pieces. So support her even if you hurt for her and when it crashes be there to wipe her tears and hold her hand-she needs you no matter what! You can message me if you need to talk I am willing to listen to more and give you more advise if not its ok!
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 11:59 PM on Jan. 22, 2011