Animal Hoarders

last night i happened to catch the new series on Animal Planet: "Animal Hoarders"

the one i saw was about a man who owns 158 chickens. he's turned his home over to the chickens, gave up his 3 bedrooms for them to roam free in, and sleeps on a cot in his living room. his floor is literally covered in chicken feces, feed for the chickens, bugs, an even eggs that they lay (which im sure are covered in salmonella) and the chickens breed too and he has little chicks running around.

out of curiosity, do you know anyone that is an "animal hoarder"? what are your thoughts on this episode?

animal hoarding is an actual mental disease just like people who hoard food, or live with everything they've acquired over the years all over their homes, never clean, etc. there is no known "cure" for hoarding.

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/confessions-animal-hoarding-overwhelmed-by-chickens.html

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 12:38 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Entertainment

• All I can say is YUCK!
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 12:40 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I think it's disgusting, seriously.  If you can't clean up the freaking poop the animals need different homes.  I have been accused of being an animal hoarder because I have 20 cats at once.  All of them were fixed and had their shots and their litter boxes were always cleaned.  If you take care of the animals, I see no problem.  If you aren't able to walk around your house because there is poop all over, quit being nasty.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I just saw a hoarders episode where this man had 1000's of rats- crazy!! I can't imagine living that way, but then again I guess I don't have the disease.....
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I think it's a horribly tragic situation for everyone (and thing) involved. These people need help, and it seems like they only get it after it's gone to this sort of extreme. I wish there were more/better intervention programs to help people like this.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:02 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Thats crazy, growing up i had a lot of animals but i lived on a farm.
    jhcz

Answer by jhcz at 1:12 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I had a friend who hoarded cats and dogs. She just wanted to give them a good home and cae for them. Then she had too many to be able to care for them. And instead of trying find homes she kept them and became so overwhelmed by them (even after my dh and I would go help her clean and care for them). The county did step in and take the animals. I felt so bad for her, she really just got into a spot she didn't know how to get out of
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 1:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• OMG! I saw that last night too! I got so grossed out that I had to change the channel. This morning when I woke up I vacuumed like a maniac & I am a clean freak! When I watch those shows like the regular hoarders, I just want to clean out my closets & drawers! LOL! That is a very sad mental illness. I really fell sorry that they can't see clearly to know what they are doing is soooo wrong & unhealthy.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I mean't to say "had" 20 cats not "have".
    MrsHouston47302

• Yes, my MIL unfortunately. It sickns me and I've been tempted to call teh show and put her on it, or at least call the humane society for her area and turn her in. Unfortunately where she lives they have very loose rules and as a "breeder" she is permitted to have more dogs than usual due to selling them. The problem is she can't find buyers so the puppies don't get sold and before you know it another dog is pregnant.
    Anonymous