Does your SO "try" to tell you what to do with your hair?

I was getting my haircut yesterday and the woman and I were talking about how our husbands try to tell us what to do with our hair. My husband hates how I cut it. He wants me to grow my hair bast my ass. I refuse to. I like it shoulder length. After all he isn't the one that needs to maintain it and carry it around especially during 100 degree summer weather. He also hates me dying it. I have this dirty brown color I can stand. So I dye it random colors (all natural looking colors) ever few months.
I don't tell him how to maintain his hair. He can grow it out, dye it for all I car. But he thinks since he is the "man" of the house he should have say on how I do my hair and ask him permission to do things with it.
Of coarse I never do and it does get a little pissy but it never has caused major issues.
I'm my own person, it drives me crazy when people try to tell me what to do.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 12:38 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Relationships

• I like it long( sorry about that hit the wrong button)
    But if he told me to grow it long or cut it short I would probably tell him where to stick it. I think most men like long hair on us women though
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• No he doesn't. Every time I get my hair cut he says it looks good.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 12:40 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I dated ONE guy who tried to tell me what to do with my hair. That was when I was 17. I wanted my hair short, he didn't. I got it cut short and he got so upset he called the pastor of our church and told him I mutilated myself. (yes, those were the exact words). I then got a call from the pastor to talk about why I mutilated myself. (no kidding). I then called my boyfriend. I asked him if he love me or my hair. He took a little to long to answer the question. I broke up with him.
    I've never had any other man try to tell me what to do with my hair. I am one to cut it short, then let it grow long, then cut it short again, etc. I also have a habit of coloring it or not. No one else has ever commented on my hair habits. Then again, they probably wouldn't be around for long if the did.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I have a mohawk and he hates it but its okay.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• He don
    't tell me what to do with my hair
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• No, I have to say my husband really doesn't care what I do with my hair. He's seen it several colors and lengths varying from chin-length to past my shoulder blades. My ex used to try to tell my what to do with my hair though. He always wanted it very blond and very long. I found it very annoying.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 12:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• My husband does not, I have bleached my hair and shaved it off, dyed it purple and he doesn't care. I know he prefers it long (don't they all), but he never pressures me to grow it.

Now my mom is always complains about how my dad pressures her into growing out her hair. Maybe because she started getting the old lady q-tip cut. But I remember them fighting more after she would cut off all her hair.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:42 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• No. I know that he likes long hair, but since we've been together I've had it really short and spiky, to the current "to my brastrap" length, and everywhere in-between. He loves me no matter what I do to my hair, he would never tell me to do anything with it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:44 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Luckily, My DH likes my hair the way it is. Natural & long. I think if he wanted me to try a new hairstyle, i would do it though, i like to look good for my DH. He's the only person i really care to look good for, so if he suggest something, i always try it. Not to mention, he should have been a fashion designer, he REALLY knows what looks good on me. I always take his advice, because he has a good eye for beauty & is usually right.

It has nothing to do with him being a man & having the say because of it. I just like to look good for my DH.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:46 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• he does not tell me what to do with it, but he makes suggestion sometimes. like the other day i was dyeing my hair my usual brown color (i only dye to hide my greys and i pick the color closest to my natural hair color) and he's like "have you ever tried dyeing it a different color? like blonde?" i have a pale face and brown eyebrows. there's no way in hell i could pull off blonde hair. so i told him no, i might try a deep red or darker brown, but never blonde. and he also tells me that it looks better when scrunched instead of straightened (which is true, my hair is so long that when i straighten it it has literally zero body to it.)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:47 PM on Jan. 22, 2011