How do I keep my cats from fighting?

I just got a new cat a stray from outside. The first cat I got was a stray from outside on Oct. 17th. Now the first one keeps biting the back of the new one I just got. I want them to get along or at least just tolerate each other How do i do that

bobbietrayer

Asked by bobbietrayer at 1:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Pets

• Biting the back of the neck?  What sex are the cats?

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• If the cat who is doing the biting is male, I am guessing that he is trying to mate. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:03 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• um, are they the same sex or is one female and male? Are they fixed? If they are opposite genders and not fixed then expect a litter very soon.
    Also, all cats are very territorial and it takes time and patience to introduce a new cat into a home with a pre-existing cat.
    Do your best to keep them separate, it can take three months or longer for cats to accept each other. It helps if there is a door separating them. That way they can "smell" each other and know the other one. Another trick is to take a towel and rub one with it and then the other several time a day for a few weeks. That way they get used to the other scent. And, if they are the same gender and are not fixed you'll want to have them fixed it helps with them being territorial.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 1:04 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• both of the cats are male I am also having trouble with the older one "marking his territory" by spraying all over my house
    bobbietrayer

Comment by bobbietrayer (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Then they need to both be fixed. The one biting the other is dominating him, and spaying is another way to show who is boss and who's territory it is.
    Unfortunately since he (possibly both) are spraying it might be to late to curb that habit even after being fixed.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 1:07 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Getting the animals fixed should fix that.  They are predators and mark their territory but they don't seem to do it as much or at all after being fixed.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Boys are territorial, so it's much harder to introduce a second male cat into a house.....especially since there is a difference between a stray and a feral cat. What you may have is a feral cat and not a stray and they may result in fighting and both spraying. BUT if it's possible there isn't much you can do other than giving it time
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• And something I had to do, make sure that during them being fixed, you make SURE to get all of the spray out of your house.  The carpets need to be cleaned, whatever it is they have sprayed on.  Mine continued to spray because I missed a spot a corner of my living room. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• First, neuter both of them.
    Second, get yourself a spray bottle full of water. That worked for me. Everytime they would start fighting, i sprayed them. They got the point pretty fats.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 1:15 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I know that neither one was feral. The second cat I got use to be my sisters but she had to put it outside when she moved to a place that didnot allow animals He has only been out since july The first one I got couldnt haved been feral because he was use to children as I have a two year old and he was to use to having a litter box and a bowl of food
    bobbietrayer

Comment by bobbietrayer (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Jan. 22, 2011