I'm homeschooling my kids ... I have a question about system of handwriting.

I'd really like to get some input about handwriting systems. I am torn between three systems: Getty-Dubay, Standard Cursive and Handwriting without Tears.The biggest difference between Getty-Dubay and standard handwriting (both printing and cursive) is the way it looks. See below

According to Sonlight Curriculum ....
The potential advantages of Getty-Dubay are
  • The cursive characters are almost identical to the print characters, which means teh transistion from print to cursive is easy - and once a student learns the cursive style, he is less likely to revert to printing.
  • At least one national writing contest was won recently by a student who used Getty-Dubay. Translate: The text looks good. Many people say it reminds them of simply calligraphy
The potential Disadvantages are
  • Getty-Dubay is completely non-Standard. There are no scholl materials that use this method as a basis for practice sheets.
  • Children will be unfamiliar with the standard cursive writing and may not be able to read materials written in standard cursive.
I'm wondering if it might be possible to teach my kids to just recognize the cursive script without having to learn how to write it. I remember having to learn standard cursive and had a hard time with it because many of the cursive letters didn't look anything like the print letters. I felt like I was learning a whole new language.

Does anyone have thoughts about this? I'm totally open ...

Compared to Standard Cursive

And Handwriting without Tears

I guess the reason why I like Getty-Dubay is because the cursive letters look similar to the print letters. When I was learning standard cursive, I took ever opportunity to make my cursive look more like the print.Getty-Dubay seems more natural to me, but I don't want to be handicapping my kids if it is necessary to know standard cursive.

Is standard cursive really necessary to know today?

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 1:14 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Right now I teach using Zaner- Bloser (sp???) and in the past I have taught D'Nelian, which looks a little like cursive. What ever you choose start with printing and don't even worry about cursive until the printing is mastered. It's my experience that most kids love to learn cursive- it makes them feel special for some reason. So if later on down the line your kids are interested in cursive you can teach it then.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Although cursive is becoming obsolete due our heavy reliance upon communication through technology, the need to be able to read it still stands. If you do choose to teach your child(ren) Getty-Dubay you may want to spend some time teaching them to at least read standard cursive.
    prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 1:31 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I would move from ZB print to D'Nelian and then to DB Cursive. If you want free worksheets to help them practice try http://www.learningpage.com/.  Also, I have found that this teacher's website gives a breakdown of which letters to teach first and an animated sample of each letter - here's her link http://www.myfunteacher.com/resources.htm#cursive.  I would say that yes standard cursive is still necessary to know.  Imagine your child is an adult working for a boss who leaves handwritten notes on his or her desk.  Now imagine that your child never learned to read classic cursive.  I think in today's modern age we forget that there are still many times when we need to be able to pick up a pen and write as well as read what others have written.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:34 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• If you do choose to teach your child(ren) Getty-Dubay you may want to spend some time teaching them to at least read standard cursive.
    ----
    This has DEFINITELY crossed my mind!
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I am not the point of teaching my children formal handwriting yet (my oldest just turned 4), but when we officially start kindergarten I planning on contacting our local school to see what they teach. That way, even though our plan is just to homeschool, if something happens and our plan changes they have learned what is expected if they have to attend the local public school. I know this doesn't really answer you question, just a thought I had. As for do they really need to know cursive - my nephew does not know it, was never taught to write it. He was homeschooled for third grade, the year it is normally taught and my sil had a hard time fitting it in. Fourth grade he went back to school and have never needed to know cursive or write in cursive for classes. He is now is seventh grade. I would think you only need to know cursive if someone writes you a letter using it, but how often are letters even hand written anymore
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 2:04 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• @ JamieLK - I find that really sad, but I know many teachers who tell me that they can't write in cursive on the board because the students can't read it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:07 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• @scout mom ... Would it make sense to teach GD print, then GD cursive, and then standard cursive? Or is that overkill? Would I just need to teach them how to read standard cursive without teaching them how to write it?
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2011