Accelerated reader...

Do your children participate in the Accelerated Reader program?

prinzesstephi

Asked by prinzesstephi at 1:28 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yes and i think its a great idea. our pta hands out books for holidays and we make sure that the books we get are also on the ar. first grade makes a prize system out of the points the kids get and the prize is always related to something with the school
    bellarose1230

Answer by bellarose1230 at 8:34 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• DD just took her first test yesterday.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 1:45 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Our public schools do this and count the points as a large part of their reading grade (not what the program was designed for). The private school I taught at also used the program but did not count it as part of the reading grade. Since we homeschool, we don't use the program, but I do use the site to help me better determine the reading level of certain books. Also, we use http://www.bookadventure.com/ once in a while for the same kind of testing and it's free.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:45 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• wow, that's still around??? i participated in that when i was in elementary school!
    aydensXmommy

Answer by aydensXmommy at 2:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Do they do that in kindergarten? my 6 yr old goes to a rural school district and he is excellent at reading..the teacher gives him reading tests and he passes them with flying colors, she also gives him books to take home that are specific to his ability to read/
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:28 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• My daughter's school participates in it. Not until first grade though.
    kLynch315

Answer by kLynch315 at 9:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2011