Tubal Ligation Questions

Okay excuse my ignorance to this subject but I wasn't educated about it.

1st question: They are tying the tubes to the egg and sperm can't met and so the egg doesn't enter the uterus right? How does a women still have a period if the egg is trapped?

2nd question: What was your down time?

3rd Question: How long did you have to wait till you could have sex again?

Thanks! I'm having this done February 8th and will like to know as much as I can before hand.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Health

• ok what they do is tie off the tube so that the egg cant enter the uterus and implant. you still have a period because the uterus still grows a lining and is shed every month like normal. it shouldnt mess with your homone levels so you still have a period. basically it just stops the egg.
    i had mine done the next day after i had my daughter. but i didnt really feel i had down time. i was up and out of the hospital the next day like normal. and i resumed my normal activitys the following day. after 4 or 5 days went to the doc to check the staples and remove them. but because of the birth i couldnt have sex for 6 weeks. normally though i think you can have sex after 4 weeks but dont quote me on that. ask your doc about that one.
    me personally i dont see a big deal out of it and yes just like anything else thre are risks but i dont belive they are very high.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Instead of scare the poor thing. You need to add how rare those are!
    Anonymous

• 1st ? - The egg is absorbed by your body the hormones are still there and when the egg isn't implanted you get your cycle.

2nd?- I had mine done the same time as a c-sect but SIL had hers done and was back to normal in a couple of days.

I have not had any of the above RARE issues.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 2:04 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I was told the egg gets reabsorbed by the body. Nothing changes hormonally as far as the egg being released and the uterine lining not being needed for a pregnancy (fertilized egg) so you still have periods. Mine was done at the time of my c-section so I can't really comment on your last two questions. If you want you can ask your doctor about all the things listed in previous answers. I understand they are rare too. And many things listed about post tubal are not common. But many of them are things you will go through in menopause.

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:10 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• 1st question - I have read about it and still can't explain it so that it makes any sense. Just that the tube is tied, closed off, however the method is that you have done, and prevents fertilization.

2nd question - It varies. I've known women who were only down for a week and some were down for three weeks.

3rd question - Again, it varies. Every woman I know who has had it done had a different time. It seemed to just depend on how fast they healed.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:39 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• 1 - your body is made to have a period whether you ovulate or not - the egg doesn't have to be in your uterus to have your period - a period is shedding the lining of the uterus, when you get pregnant it won't shed because it needs it for the baby.

2 - I had mine the day after I gave birth (vaginally, they went through a very small incision in my belly button), so I didn't have any more down time than my birth recovery.

3 - due to the above - the usual 6 weeks ;).
    Anonymous

• I've had several family members and friends who have had tubals and not one of them has had any of the things listed above actually happen. That is not to say they definitely will not happen ever but they are extremely rare from my reading.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• 2) If your getting it done laparoscopically my doctor told me I will just be sore that day and maybe the next. I'm getting my tied in June. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 2:25 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• here are symptoms that happen after wards,
    SYMPTOMS OF POST TUBAL SYNDROME
    1. Eptopic pregnancy or pregnancy (well known risk of tubals)
    2. Hot flashes, flushes, night sweats and/or cold flashes,
    clammy feeling, chills
    3. Bouts of rapid heart beat
    4. Irritability
    5. Mood swings, sudden tears
    6. Trouble sleeping through the night (with or without night sweats)
    7. Irregular periods; shorter, lighter periods; heavier periods, flooding;
    phantom periods, shorter cycles, longer cycles
    8. Loss of libido (see note)
    9. Dry vagina (see note)
    10. Itchy vagina-at time raw like, can radiated from whole area, with
    absence of yeast infections. (see note)
    11. Color change in vaginal area. (color gets darker -darker red to purple)
    12. Crashing fatigue - Chronic Fatigue
    13. Anxiety, feeling ill at ease
    14. Feelings of dread, apprehension, doom (see note)
    15. Difficulty concentr
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:48 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• you really need to reasearch this there are a lot of bad things that happen after a tubal, here is a list of things that can and most likely happen after a tubal.
    * Castrative Menopause
    * Severe Hormone Imbalance
    * Ovarian Isolation (Post Hysterectomy, Post Tubal Ligation)
    * Atrophic Ovaries
    * Hormone Shock
    * Increased Risk of Heart Disease
    * Bone Loss and Osteoporosis
    * Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding (DUB)
    * PMS
    * Endometriosis
    * Adenomyosis
    * Severe Pelvic Adhesions
    * Misplacement of Female Organs
    * Decreased Lactating Ability
    Look up PTLS
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:46 PM on Jan. 22, 2011