I want to bulk up my kids - soup ideas????

My daughter is on the lighter side and i keep thinking the healthiest thing to give her is soup but she wont eat soup. or maybe i have no patience because she doesnt know how to eat. She is a little over two and only feed herself, independance has definetly taken over!, so i cant feed it to her. Any ideas on how to thinken it up or how to teach her to eat soup slowly ....?

motherof3tome

Asked by motherof3tome at 1:47 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Food & Drink

• mug = sip! no mess, directly into mouth, no spillage, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:50 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Put in crackers or cornbread.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 1:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Make creamy soups using heavy cream, is all I can think of, but that's not good fat and won't be best for her. Why do you have to feed her soup though? There are so many other good-fat foods.
    Anonymous

• If I make a soup like say Chicken Noodle, I give them mostly the pieces of chicken and noodle with very little of the actual liquid at the bottom. They have any easier time of eating it that way with less mess.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• mug
    san78

Answer by san78 at 3:47 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Try avocado, coconut oil, beans, lentil, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:32 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I did try the mug with chicken broth but they dont like the taste - i cant really blame them, haha. I just figured soup was the healthiest thing. What else would be good and fatty? be aware im not the best cook.
    motherof3tome

Comment by motherof3tome (original poster) at 4:40 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• You should get more variety, I would suggest going to the bookstore and picking up a couple cookbooks for ideas, and a book on child nutrition, it will tell you alot about kids eatting patterns, habits, how much they need of what, etc.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• If your doctor isn't worried than you shouldn't be either. We moms are always trying bulk up or slim down our kids. Let them eat when they are hungry. A kid will not starve themselves. Just encourage healthy snacks and balanced meals. Cheese is good. It's healthy and is high in fat. My son loves cheese.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:32 AM on Feb. 15, 2011