Teenager throws tantrum claims not to remember

My 15 yr old daughter threw a temper tantrum the other day laid on the floor kicking and screaming like I've never seen before. She never even threw tantrums as a lil kid so why now.

Later after calming down (we couldn't reason with her for like 40 min's) and us talking to her she claims she doesn't remember any of it. When told she laid on the floor and kicked/screamed then crawled to the corner crying more, she says no I didn't I don't remember any of that.

I told her if she truely blacked out for 40 min's and doesn't remember it then we need to seek medical attention for her, starting with our family doctor. She told me she won't talk to any one and won't go to a doctor.

So what do you all think ... take her to a doctor or just keep treating her like a young child... took her cell away, laptop, and freedoms a teen has that her lil sister does not have.

ADDED INFO based on come of the answers.

She is normally a great kid, she's not an angry bad kid at all.  I've never dealt with this it is totally new and shocking to myself and her father. What happened it is we were at a lesson for her chosen interest and she asked what time her hair appt was the following day. I didn't think anything of it checked my calendar and told her when it was. I guess she had asked me prior to that and I had told her it was in the AM not the PM so she had made plans. That was all I got from her before she threw herself on the ground... there was no anger no fight between us nothing.. she just quickly desolved down into a temper tantrum.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I would take her to the doctor.
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Sounds like she said she didn't remember because she didn't want to suffer any consequences for her childish behavior.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I'd take her to the doctor.
    It could be medical.
    It could also be that she got so angry at something that once she lost control she didn't remember how she acted, I've seen it many times in the kids I work with, but I would check on the medical first.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I would take her to the doctor.If the doctor says that there is nothing wrong, than I would send her to a boot camp for teens. Is she normally a bad kid or is this new? If this isn't something se wold normally do than i would be conerned for her health.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 2:01 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Oh, and if it is she got so angry she couldn't remember--she still needs discipline.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• i've seen this happen with my brother-in-law's girlfriend. she's 18, and extremely bipolar and skitsofrenic, and there have been plenty of times she has gotten so angry and thrown temper tanturms like that. broken mirrors, thrown grills 60 ft, break her hand from punching something, and she's never remembered any of it. i would definitely seek some kind of medical advice, regardless of if she wants it or not. it could really spell something serious! good luck to you!!
    aydensXmommy

Answer by aydensXmommy at 2:35 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• i would absolutely take her to a psychiatrist...i am bipolar and am a social worker who has experience with teens with all kinds of diagnoses and this could be sign of a number of things. this need to be looked into much further than any of us on here can help you with.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 2:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Take her to the doctor! There's a possibility that she just said that to avoid getting in trouble, but that might not be the case. I'm bipolar and there have been quite a few times that I have snapped and don't remember it. I've woken up with cuts all over me, bruises on my hands, etc. and no memory. My mom was the same way (she's also bipolar). I've known quite a few people with a mental disorder who have experienced things like that.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• She needs a complete physical

Answer by rkoloms at 4:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Yes, take her to the doctor. If she really doesn't remember, it is called dissociation and can be an indication of a serious psychiatric disorder.

sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 6:10 PM on Jan. 22, 2011