• In the Spotlight:

questions about cake/cake batter

can you make a cake and use 1/2 the batter on the 24th then refridgerate the remaining batter to bake on the 27th?
once you bake a cake how long will it last for. if i bake a layer cake on the 24th will it still be good on the 27th?
whats the best way to store a cake?
fridge or no fridge?
on a plate with tin foil?

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 2:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Freezing a cake won't alter the taste unless you don't wrap it well and have it next to something that smells funky. There are a lot of bakeries that freeze cakes - so there's a good chance that when you order or buy a cake from any bakery it's been frozen & thawed. A lot of small-time bakers (who do it out of their house) do the same thing - because they're easier to crumb coat when they're frozen! I freeze pretty much all of mine just for that reason and I've never had an issue with taste. I actually wrap while still just a tad warm, and they come out sooooo moist. Oh yeah, should mention I'm one of those small-time bakers who makes cakes for others and I've always had rave reviews and a lot of repeat customers - and I freeze every single one of my cakes ;).
    Anonymous

• Bake the cake now. When it's cool, wrap it well in a layer or 2 of plastic wrap, then in tin foil, and put in the freezer. Take out the day you need it and frost either frozen or thawed (get a better crumb coat when it's frozen). Stored batter is gross, not to mention once it's mixed, it starts the chemical processes and just won't turn out right after being stored.
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure about how long refrigerated batter is good, but if you do that, you might have to increase baking time to compensate for the colder temperature -- I know that's what you have to do with cookies, anyway.

My cakes usually last for 3-4 days before they start getting stale, if stored properly. Best storage is something designed for cakes -- they make plastic dishes where you put the cake on the flat part and the dome part attaches, making it fairly air-tight, which is most desirable; there are also just cake domes, and up put them over the cake on your own plate or platter. I usually use a large mixing bowl over a platter.

Fridge depends on frosting more than anything -- whipped or cream cheese frosting you need to refrigerate, but regular is ok not refrigerated.

And tin foil can get a bit messy, I'd try to find a big bowl or something to put over it, or at least something to tent the foil.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:34 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• does it taste just as good if you bake it then freeze it then thaw it?
    sandraberke

Comment by sandraberke (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• blah, yes refrigerating the batter is not a good idea lol. anon is right....freezing it is the best way to go. they do that alot in the bakery if they need to transport a cake or have a big order.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Try a light drizzle of sweetened condensed milk on it before you frost it, and it will be nice and moist even 3 or 4 days later when you cut into it. (My husband's family don't understand how all my cakes are moist, and I don't tell them!)
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 4:38 PM on Jan. 22, 2011