dog going after my cat....

hi,
i adopted a dog from the shelter 2 weeks ago and she keeps going after my cat, he hides from her now, but how do i get her to stop? thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Pets

• not all cats and dogs will go along together.....maybe you should look for a new dog that was used to being in a home with cats.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• The dog might not be cat friendly. Did you ask that when you adopted him? They will typically tell you which dog would be good for cats and not. That is something you'll have to train and work hard on with the dog and it might not work in the end. Some breeds have a very high prey drive and it is almost impossible to get that out of them especially if they didn't grow up with cats when they were puppies. Call the shelter that you got the dog from and ask if they have or know of a place/someone who can help you train the dog.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 4:07 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• This also happened to us when we adopted our dog from the shelter. It took a few weeks but they eventually got used to each other. Maybe try a spray bottle with water and spray him whenever he bothers the cats. Good luck and I hope it works out for all of you.
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 4:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Give kitty plenty of places to go where the dog cannot (baby gates are great!). They will eventually come to an understanding. Kitty should be able to eat, drink and potty unmolested by the dog.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 9:31 PM on Jan. 22, 2011