3 year olds at the movie theater?

ds isnt quite 3, he won't be till late April. He is pretty wild, likes to run off and whatnot lol But I was wondering if the big screen and surround sound of the theater might be rivetting to him? Or would it just be a chasing game the whole 2 hours? Are is it expected for most childrens movies fo the younger ones to be running around?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:46 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I took my son when he was about 2, I don't remember what we saw but he did really good for about 3/4 of the movie. He was just like your son and by the time the movie was about 30 minutes shy of ending, he was done, we ended up leaving early because he had no interest in the film what so ever. We tried again when Disney's Up came out, I think he was about 3.5 and it scared the crap out of him because it was too loud. We ended up leaving early then too. We just saw Mega Minds in theaters, he's now 4, and although he sat there the entire time he started getting fidgety towards the end. We have another one on the way and I will probably wait to take her, having learned the errors of my ways. I would wait to take your little one too, sitting for that long is a lot to ask of small children.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 4:07 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• No it is not 'expected' that children will run around in the kids movies. (that is not meant to sound snarky but it kinda looks that way) People who are there with their kids who are a little older and are sitting still can tend to be a little annoyed by a smaller child who is running around or talking. It would suck to pay that much to be asked to leave. He may or may not sit still for the whole picture. Mine did better if he had popcorn to munch on. I would try a dollar theater first since people tend to be a little more forgiving when they haven't spent 35 dollars for a night out with their kids.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:49 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I took my ds when was almost 2, he was a bit loud during the boring parts, but other than that he was very good. Now that I have a dd, we just wait until summer and go to the drive ins. My kids can be as loud as they want and it only disturbs me and my hubby. And by the time the first movie is done, they are both ready for bed and me and hubby get to watch a grown up movie in peace, with the two kids sleeping in the back.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:59 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• we never tookt he kids to movies until they were around 5 or 6...
    my guess is-that anyone paying for the movie probably doesn't watn to be distracted by kids who can't sit stiil or kids who can't be quiet
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I know when my child was that age it was more of a chasing game I'm bored type thing didn't hold her interest long. Same with my grandson we spent more time taking him to the bathroom then actually watching the movie. IMO not a good idea I don't know your child though
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I can't help you on that I am afraid to take mine to the theater until they get older and can sit still longer lol. Good luck if you decide to go, athough it depends on the kid too.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I took my daughter who is 3 to see Princess and the Frog - she was mesmerized, she didn't run around, she stood up in front of her seat but didn't take her eyes off the screen.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• We just went for the first time with our 5, 3 and 2 year old. We brought lots of snacks and got them each a poporn and drink to keep them busy. We also went to an early movie that wasnt very busy. The little guys only made it about 2/3 of the way thru the movie before getting antsy but I gave them a secret stash of "special" treats I had brought and they were aable to make it thru the whole thing. Id say it depends on your kid and on the movie. Do he normally sit thru movies at home? Maybe try a doller theatre first to see how he does.. thats where we went as I didnt want to invest the $ if they couldnt do it.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 4:11 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I take my 3 yr old all the time and she is well behaved in the movies. Never tries to run around or scream or anything.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:14 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Check around and see if any nearby theatres have "Kidtoons" It's normally a straight to DVD movie, that is shorter than a normal movie, such as Curious George Christmas.At ours it cost $3.50 for the movie, drink and popcorn. If he doesn't like it you're only out $7 for the both of you.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 4:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2011