Naptime

I have a 2 year old and she just won't take a nap for me. I like for her to take her naps because one it keeps her from being cranky and two its good for her. For some reason she will only take one for ten minutes in the car driving home from my husbands place of employment. I try getting her to stay awake until we get home so she will take one, but she just won't and I don't know what to do. I know she is tired but won't give in. Help...

ajc-08

Asked by ajc-08 at 4:37 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son (almost 4 now) has never been a napper! that stopped at like 1!! i think some kids just dont nap!
    sandjmom99

Answer by sandjmom99 at 4:39 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Put her into the buggy and go for a walk. She will fall asleep quite fast and you will nice and healthy for two hours walk per day:) If you don't want to walk too much than just walk until she falls asleep, go home and leave her in the buggy until she wakes up. If it will be enough warm for her she will sleep quite well:)
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 4:44 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• My oldest 4 had 2 naps a day till 3 and she had no problems with taking a nap ever. She will NOT nap anymore unless she is sick.
    My youngest who is 15 months HAS to be upstairs in her crib WITH her Violet pal (Leapfrog) in order to nap now. She only naps once a day.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 4:44 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• My DD is 21 months and has finally given up her naps! I deal with her crankiness because she wakes up later of the mornings now.Best of luck hun!
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Maybe mine is one that just does not nap.. I'd do the walking but its extremely cold this time of the year and that is out of the question, besides she is one of those that would want to walk beside you. Not ride in anything, but good idea. She also has to have a movie on or she is not happy.. Also a sippy cup with milk in it or she will yell "Mommy, Cuppy!" until she gets it. Sometimes at night she takes her diaper off.. I've tried putting her in pull ups and she's figured out she has to pull them down to get them off.. She's not potty trained yet either...
    ajc-08

Comment by ajc-08 (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• At night - put her in a zip up sleeper with the zipper in the back, cut the feet off. She won't be able to get her diaper off then. At 2, I wouldn't respond to my toddler's demands, for a movie, cup or anything else. My 2 year old still takes naps, but even when my older 3 stopped napping they knew that they had to lay in their room, quietly, for an hour. We had "quiet time" in the afternoon until they went to kindergarten. Once they got into elementary school we changed it to "reading time" where they still (9, 11, and 13) have to be somewhere quiet for at least 1/2 hour after lunch when they are home from school.

Answer by missanc at 5:17 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Some children stop taking naps around that age, whereas others keep taking naps until they head off to school. Her taking a nap isn't neccissarily more beneficial to her then not taking a nap. If she is happy enough to stay awake the whole day then she's perfectly fine. As long as she's sleeping through the night. With that said ... You can try driving her around on the way home from your husband's work. Since she sleeps in the car you might be able to keep her asleep for a while longer. Keep her really active when you get home if you don't want to drive around. Then try giving her a nap later.. Read her a story, give her a drink, and lay her down. Even if she stays quiet in her room for an hour it should be enough to keep her from being cranky.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Every child is different. But if you feel she is cranky without one then I suggest a nap routine that works for you. At our house we eat a big lunch, watch one more kiddie show, then I lay each child (ages 2 & 3) on the couch and I play jazz or new age music. The house is silent. They cant fight it then.
    stormyvawn

Answer by stormyvawn at 6:46 PM on Jan. 22, 2011