Anyone teaching their baby to be bilingual?

My daughter is mixed, Half white & half Guatemalan. We want her to know both English & Spanish correctly without getting confused. Any tips or ideas to help?

EliannasMama

Asked by EliannasMama at 5:01 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• EEk I'm in the same boat as you. I just try talking to him in both languages. His grandparents (My parents) talk to him in only Spanish. He's 3 and he's doing ok with both languages.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Well my daughter is only about to be 3 months but we speak to her in both languages. If i say something in english Ill repeat it in spanish or other way around. Even though she doesnt know what we are saying yet lol i think its best to start from the begining.
    EliannasMama

Comment by EliannasMama (original poster) at 5:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I am not doing it, but what I have heard is that each parent/grandparent should pick and speak one (and only one) language to her - like mom should speak only spanish to her and dad only english, or the other way around. They say it's less confusing to a child that way. Just know that it generally does delay language for a short period, but then they catch up quickly.

Answer by missanc at 5:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• With my kids I spoke to them both in Hebrew (to the best of my ability) and in English. They aren't fluent in Hebrew now (they are 5,11 &12) but definitely have an ear for it. The older 2 are in classes with the native Hebrew speakers at school and hold their own.

A friend of ours, whose husband is Israeli, has him speaking to the kids only in Hebrew and she spoke to them only in English. It worked well for them too.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Both of my girls are bilingual (English/Spanish) and we (my husband and I, plus his family) speak to them in both languages. Kids catch on quick! It's amazing. My 5 year old went from knowing simple Spanish like numbers, letters, colors, random objects, to speaking full sentences and communicating with Spanish only speaking people within a matter of a few months. Just continue what you are doing, speaking in both languages. That's the best way for them to learn.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Thanks Everyone !! =)
    EliannasMama

Comment by EliannasMama (original poster) at 5:30 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Yeah, my daughter is 2 and speaks/understands both English and Spanish. Just make sure that you speak both languages on a regular basis. My daughter is funny because she translates everything. Earlier she said "Oh no, the witch fell Mama, la bruja se cayĆ³!!!"
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:10 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Awww thats so cute lol. We do speak to her daily in the both languages but she does hear more english. Ill just have to talk to her more in spanish becuase she is with me more than anyone.
    EliannasMama

Comment by EliannasMama (original poster) at 7:13 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• That's AWESOME! I think kids are pretty smart and will sort it out on their own. I think they quicly learn how to communicate with the people they are with most effectively. You know, to get what THEY want;)
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 9:44 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Yep! We are teaching our son English and Spanish too, we just speak each language equally all day every day, and intertwine the languages too! Working out so far! I wondered the same thing too at first, I thought my DS would get so confused! But he responds wonderfully to both idiomas!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 12:33 AM on Jan. 23, 2011