at what age should a child start to talk?

at a recent well child visit the dr told me my son was in good health but was a little behind on his speach. she said it is normal for a second child to be a little behind. he is 20 months old and really doesnt say a lot of words but he still comunicates. ie if he wants some thing he points or if he wants more juice in his sippy he brings me the cup and says ma...which is his way of saying more. at what age should he be talking? i do remember at this age my daughter could say he abc's count to ten and was very very verbal. but i worked with her every day several times a day. and until now i had not realized it but i have not worked with him as much as i did her. i feel awefull.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• In general, 18 month olds can say 10 to 20 words. Some far more, some far less. By 24 months, kids are starting to string words together - more cookies (ma ooee). By 30 months, most are saying complex things though it might be hard to understand (the man in the yellow hat played peek-a-boo with the monkey). By 36 months you can have conversations.

It sounds like the doctor isn't too worried. Your son can obviously hear. He makes his wishes known. He uses words - just not many. Make a point of talking to him and giving everything a complex name (look at the big brown dog, his ears are very floppy, is his tounge hanging out?) He will store all these words away in him memory and then floor you one day by pulling them back out and using them.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Oh, and the man in the yellow hat sentence is one of my daughter's favorite topics of "discussion". I know what she said but my husband had no clue at all. Pronunciation comes with years of practice.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:28 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• my 2 1/2 yr old twins are at far different points in their language abilities. DD has talked nonstop in words for at least a year. DS just started using a lot of words in the last month or two. give it time, read to him a lot, when he watches tv try to aim for at least semi-educational. DD knows her #s, DS knows his letters. Point out signs (DS can find a walmart sign anywhere, buildings, trucks, today he saw a plastic bag with walmart on it and told me about it)
    but i wouldn't worry, just try to give him some attention, and some time....
    good luck
    r2mommy

Answer by r2mommy at 10:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I have the same problem..My son turned 2 in September and he does not say very much at all and when he does talk its not very understandable. I have also had medical problems with him. He had rsv, had to have tubes put in his ears also. We went to hearing tests and speech theropists and everything else you can imagine and nothing seems to help. I also have a 3 year old (August) and he talks clear as day and is the brightest thing you can ever find! He amazes me with the words he can say and the conversations that he can hold. But my 2 year old just does not want to talk. We watch Noggin (Nick Jr.) every day and he seems to start saying words and singing the songs on there but that is still very little compared to my oldest one. I have talked to the doctor about it and she just had me go to the speech theropist. So I wish I had an answer but everyone tells me he will talk when he is ready!!!!
    MCubberley

Answer by MCubberley at 10:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• dont worry my son doesnt talk much either,my girl new all before age 2,my son well is in the same boat as yours,reading helps them to talk more,kids will talk when there ready too,that was wrong for well child to say that hes behind in speech,my son points to what he wants and grizzles if i cant understand him,my advice is to go with it and relax and say the name he points too at this age theyll want to try and say it and its cute listening to them try
    cruizymum

Answer by cruizymum at 3:09 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My daughter is almost 25 months and barely talks, much like yours, she uses gestures for what she wants, i just repeat to her what it is she is asking for several times in hopes she will repeat, it has helped some, but she is very quiet, she just isn't ready to talk, but youir son is communicating is the best sign...my DD is getting better after just a few weeks,

and don't feel bad, there are just some differences from child to child, its not your fault!!!! Hang in there...
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 9:52 AM on Nov. 14, 2008